Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Posting my first quilt - Wrapped in Mint and Chocolate (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/posting-my-first-quilt-wrapped-mint-chocolate-t58389.html)

MonicaLW 08-08-2010 05:15 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I started this quilt for my daughter at least a year to a year and a half ago. I was so excited the first day. I cut squares all day, smiling and anxious. I had many interruptions, made several quilts in between and put this one on the back burner repeatedly. I had decided to hand quilt the entire project and was very excited about that! I loved the process of choosing the moda fabrics in the colors that she likes (same color as her bedroom walls – three walls mint green like ice cream and one wall chocolate). I did fret a bit because I just knew it was going to be a very costly quilt. Anyway I finally got the top put together and found I just didn’t have the time to do the hand quilting and decided that I would machine quilt it instead (so Olivia could get this in this century). I started an all over meandering – and hated it! The quilt was so big, king size. I was just uncomfortable handling it and decided to put it away for another day. I continued with the free motion machine quilting another day – again, felt uncomfortable all the way – and hated it! Still! I spent the better part of the next day slowly ripping out all of the free motion quilting and a light bulb went off in my head – I decided to do a decorative leaf stitch on all seams – I love it!! So glad I took the time to really let the quilt talk to me. I have learned so much from making this quilt, it isn’t perfect by any means, some of the seams do not match (how did that happen?) one corner was way off when I attached a border, but it all worked out in the end and I am very pleased to have made it for Olivia. I hope you like it sweetheart Love Mom …… :lol:

Front view
[ATTACH=CONFIG]93594[/ATTACH]

Close up of quilting
[ATTACH=CONFIG]93595[/ATTACH]

Justquilting 08-08-2010 05:17 AM

You did a great job with the quilting on this quilt!
I looks great!!

SueDor 08-08-2010 05:18 AM

Hi there, I love it. Looks very homey.

bigsister63 08-08-2010 05:20 AM

What a great ides for the leaf stitching on the seams? I will remember that! Quilt looks very nice!

emt2004 08-08-2010 05:20 AM

Very pretty !!!!! Did you hand quilt this quilt? ......Michele

tdgiffin 08-08-2010 05:20 AM

This is truly a labor of love. Your daughter will cherish this for many years.

Friendly Quilter 08-08-2010 05:21 AM

The quilt is beautiful, and you did a great job on the quilting. I really enjoy when someone does something differnt.

rootyr 08-08-2010 05:22 AM

Beautiful!

mollymct 08-08-2010 05:22 AM

The quilt is beautiful! Congratulations. I love the stitching detail. You did a wonderful job.

quiltinghere 08-08-2010 05:24 AM

I think it looks GREAT - wonderful use of fabrics!

The idea of using a decorative stitch on your machine to quilt the entire piece is WONDERFUL...I (at least) never thought of that (and my machine has LOTS of stitches). I'm sure, however, that took you longer to use than a normal straight stitch. Your DD is very lucky!