Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   QFK and ACU Back pack (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/qfk-acu-back-pack-t44941.html)

LovinMySoldier 05-04-2010 08:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are my two quilt for kids quilts. The one on the right is the one I made from my stash and the one on the left is the one that they sent to me.

And this is the back pack I made for my little boy. I made it out of an ACU top that my husband ripped in the field. I couldn't find a pattern that I liked so I kinda just made it up as I went. I used the velcro on the cuffs of the sleeves for the straps on the back.

virtualbernie 05-04-2010 08:47 PM

You are soooo talented! I really really love that backpack :thumbup:

Candace 05-04-2010 08:51 PM

Very cute....HOWEVER. And I hate to bring this up. But, many groups, teachers and parents assoc. advise parents to NOT put a child's name on backpacks, shirts, outerwear etc. as this gives an "in" to pedophiles. Sick, that we have to protect our children, but it's much easy for a predator to spot a child with a "Ryan" backpack and say, "Hey, Ryan your mommy sent me to pick you up because she's sick. Get in the car..." Because they know their name kids will trust them right away:< Please be careful and maybe only have him use it while you're there. I never put my kids names' on outwear because of all the warnings:<

LovinMySoldier 05-04-2010 08:54 PM

Thanks! yes I did know this about pedophiles! But it is a good reminder to everyone else :) The back pack is made with a name tape as the ACU's are. So when we go out and he takes his bag I can just rip off his name as it is just velcro'ed on :)

vbourck 05-04-2010 09:04 PM

Smart mom!!

STEMSAM 05-04-2010 11:19 PM

Very cute.

no1jan 05-05-2010 12:48 AM

Very nice, love the puppy quilt and the backpack. Actually I love them all!

It is smart thinking about the name and using velcro. So sad we have to worry about this for our children! The kids love having their names on things, but Candace is definitely right.

At one point my work phone number was actually given on the Sex Offenders Hot Line. I used to get 50 or more calls a day saying they had to register or they would be arrested. This continued until I found the phone number of the Criminal Justice Director and transferred all phone calls to him. They changed the number the same day.

It was a real wake-up call for me though!:( :(

Pam 05-05-2010 04:51 AM

So sad we have to worry so. The government should keep or neuter offenders, Just a thought.

Oklahoma Suzie 05-05-2010 05:03 AM

great work

Candace 05-05-2010 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
Thanks! yes I did know this about pedophiles! But it is a good reminder to everyone else :) The back pack is made with a name tape as the ACU's are. So when we go out and he takes his bag I can just rip off his name as it is just velcro'ed on :)

Yes, VERY smart of you!