Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Quilt Frame & Cats (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/quilt-frame-cats-t8988.html)

MiawMC 07-12-2008 10:55 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I got this quilt frame from a friend this weekend and it's in really good shape. However, it seems like something is missing. I don't know who the manufacturer is and my husband thinks there may be a cross bar for support missing and is looking for a similar frame online. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Our cats really love quilts and, as you can see by the picture, they can't wait for me to start one on this frame for them :)

quiltwoman 07-12-2008 11:01 AM

It looks like you found yourself a helper there! Was there any markings on the frame/stamped area for you to research?

MiawMC 07-12-2008 11:07 AM

No markings at all. It looks like there might have been screws in the holes toward the middle of the legs. We are thinking about buying a wooden rod and screwing it in there for support.
The frame came from a friend of my friend's whose mother quilted all her life and this was her frame and he had no idea where she bought it.
I got it for a steal and I'm thrilled. It's just wobbly.
I was impressed it didn't fall down with the cat on it though :)

mgshaw 07-12-2008 11:13 AM

Wow great find!! it does look like there should be a support bar there. Beautiful kitties too!

Kyiav10 07-12-2008 12:18 PM

Yes. Where the beams make the X there looks to ba a slot that a piece of wood would go in to help stabalize the frame. Alse the fabric that gose on the poles to attach the quilt. But that is easy to fix. And if your husband is handy he can fit a piece of wood for the stabalizer.

Kyia

Knot Sew 07-12-2008 01:14 PM

The kitties are just beautiful :D I love Maine coon cats

Bevanger 07-12-2008 01:15 PM

I don't know anything about quilts frames, sorry...... But sure love your kitties...

Susan in Texas 07-12-2008 01:55 PM

Hi,
It looks like you have a quilting frame. The long pole in the font has turning cogs on it....and it looks great. The long pole in the back seems to be missing the pegs that hold it in place. You will position your quilt between the two ploles and secure the quilt to the poles. Then you will turn the poles until the quilt has been rolled up evenly on the two poles and the middle of the quilt shows between the two poles. The long pole with the cog locks in place, but the other long poles seems to be missing the pegs that hold the pole in place. You may want to secure those holes with pencils or new pegs.
Please let me know if this does not make sense and I will try to get a friend to explain it better. :) I quilted with a group that used two such quilting frames and they can explain it much better than I can. Let me know if you need their expert instructions. :D

SaraSewing 07-12-2008 01:59 PM

It looks similar to a Grace Frame. Look online for photos for a grace and you'll see where something may be missing. mine has 3 bars, one for the bottom, one for the top, and one to roll it together when it's all attached together.

SaraSewing 07-12-2008 02:00 PM

P.S. I love those kitties. I can just see them plopping themselves upon a quilt in progress, popping it off the frames, then snuggling down for a little nap on the project!!