Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Quilting-challenged need advice please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/quilting-challenged-need-advice-please-t33400.html)

Oklahoma Suzie 01-07-2010 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Marjpf
I would do outline quilting around the hands - maybe three rows, then quilt a small hand in each of the blue blocks.
This quilt is so fun! Love the idea.

this is what I would do.

Dix 01-07-2010 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I pinned Kennedy's quilt last night and now I'm lost of how to best quilt this quilt. It is 79" square which is larger than I ever did.

My preferred method is SID and I am very comfortable with it, but I think this quilt needs a little more. The blocks are 9" and the sashing is around 2" (I think). I have assorted variagated threads and really need to get this quilt done and sent off.

My FMQing is non-existent (read: it stinks), so I'm hoping for some great ideas by the group.

I love to hand quilt, but like you, sometimes I have trouble figuring out what to do. Always, at that point, I cross hatch. I would do that in each square, marking with a marking pencil about 1-1/2 inch. Sometimes I use a yard stick so I do not have to measure each time. I did this on a Chitstmas tree and stopped at the tree and continued on the other side of the tree. You could stop at the hand print. Hope this is helpful.

littlehud 01-09-2010 07:49 PM

I think to echo quilting would be so cool, but if you want you could echo quilt at one or two inch away from the outer edge of the square.

earthwalker 01-09-2010 07:59 PM

Mad...that is just stunning work...I think echo quilting would look great and maybe following the waves in the design on the sashing. The idea of a cursive "hope" is brilliant too, but sounds amazingly difficult (I am a "machine" newbie, so the fear factor would be huge).

Please let us know what you decide...and pics would be fantastic.

mytwopals 01-12-2010 01:34 PM

Mad - Here's a simple suggestion, which I know is probably too late for you. SID the sashing betweent the hand blocks. Then 45 degree cross-hatch the hand blocks at 1/2" intervals. You can either cross-hatch over the hands or stop at the edge of each and SID around each hand. Your choice. Either would look fine. Or you could try to convince DH, that you just can't complete this quilt without Qbot and he should go out a buy it for you right away. Qbot comes with some heart motifs, which might be appropriate for this quilt.

ranger 01-12-2010 01:37 PM

What a fun quilt. I love it.....can't help you on the quilting question.

cindyg 01-12-2010 02:07 PM

I was going to suggest cross-hatching about 1/2" apart. It would make the hands really stand out.

SharonC 01-12-2010 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by mytwopals
Mad - Here's a simple suggestion, which I know is probably too late for you. SID the sashing betweent the hand blocks. Then 45 degree cross-hatch the hand blocks at 1/2" intervals. You can either cross-hatch over the hands or stop at the edge of each and SID around each hand. Your choice. Either would look fine. Or you could try to convince DH, that you just can't complete this quilt without Qbot and he should go out a buy it for you right away. Qbot comes with some heart motifs, which might be appropriate for this quilt.

I like this suggestion best :) :)

vicki reno 01-12-2010 03:03 PM

I like the idea of echo quilting. It isn't near as hard as FMQ. JUst keep your quilting foot on the machine and all the curves will b smooth.

Ditter43 01-12-2010 03:07 PM

What wonderful bright colors! I would do echo quilting around the hands and stitch in the ditch everywhere else. It will be wonderful no matter how it's quilted! :-P
Ditter