Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Quilting-challenged need advice please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/quilting-challenged-need-advice-please-t33400.html)

MadQuilter 01-06-2010 03:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I pinned Kennedy's quilt last night and now I'm lost of how to best quilt this quilt. It is 79" square which is larger than I ever did.

My preferred method is SID and I am very comfortable with it, but I think this quilt needs a little more. The blocks are 9" and the sashing is around 2" (I think). I have assorted variagated threads and really need to get this quilt done and sent off.

My FMQing is non-existent (read: it stinks), so I'm hoping for some great ideas by the group.

Boston1954 01-06-2010 03:55 PM

Do you quilt by hand or machine. If machine, I would do loops all over.

Marjpf 01-06-2010 03:58 PM

I would do outline quilting around the hands - maybe three rows, then quilt a small hand in each of the blue blocks.
This quilt is so fun! Love the idea.

MadQuilter 01-06-2010 04:11 PM

I quilt by machine.

Biting nails at thought of even echo quilting. Scared - scared - scared. Great ideas though.

granny216 01-06-2010 04:13 PM

I was afraid to do echo quilting on the machine but one day I did it by using my foot as a guide for the next row and it came out great.

amma 01-06-2010 04:58 PM

You could blanket stitch around the sides of the sashing, and use a elongated decorative stitch diagonally in the corners of the blocks (one or two rows)

thimblebug6000 01-06-2010 06:00 PM

After you've SID, just keep using your walking foot & go slowly around each shape, stopping every three or four stitches with your needle in the down position & turn your work towards the curve you need. It's slower than if you did it free motion, but it works!

katier825 01-06-2010 06:15 PM

Do you have any decorative stitches on your machine? I've got a nice serpentine that looks great in place of stitch in the ditch. It looks great w/vareigated thread and it's more forgiving of mistakes too! I'm just getting brave enough to do FMQ on "real" quilts. Until I'm more confident, I match the background fabric and mistakes don't show so much.

janRN 01-06-2010 07:10 PM

What a beautiful quilt. I, too, am FMQ challenged so do mostly SID. I have drawn some shapes-stars, hearts, leaves, etc-and just stitch on them with the feed-dogs up. If I go real slow it looks just fine. I like the idea of outlining the hands about a 1/4-1/2 inch away.
I'm not much help but I do like your quilt. Good luck and please show us the finished product.

thequilteddove 01-06-2010 07:18 PM

You could always use a chalk pencil like (washes away) and draw the design you want whether it be stippling, cross hatching or even an echo design. Then just stitch on the drawn design. Be sure to take your time, use needle down - same principle/technique one would use if they were stitch'n around a fused applique piece only w/a straight stitch instead of zigzag...