Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Recycled Shirts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/recycled-shirts-t153884.html)

MacThayer 09-18-2011 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Thusnelda
I like the look of them. But isn't the fabric rather thin? My granmother made the most wonderful pineapple pattern quilt for me using old shirts and dresses. Unfortunately, some pieces pretty soon showed some wear and got torn.

Yes, I ran into that problem with one of my great grandmother's quilts. I solved it by either replacing the patch (a lot of work) or simply appliquéing a new patch over the torn one. That's faster, and you'd be surprised at how nice it looks.

Jo M 09-18-2011 09:37 AM

Super!! I'm bookmarking your post.

MacThayer 09-18-2011 09:45 AM

The quilts are beautiful. Don't underestimate your own eye for color. Yes it's helpful to study primary versus secondary colors, tone, depth, the color wheel, etc., but I did my first project without knowing anything about those things, and I thought it turned out great. Now I know a lot more, and my work will improve, no doubt. In my opinion, we are all always on a learning curve, which is one of the things I love about quilting. And I'd say you're off to a grand start!

Shhhh! Don't tell anyone, but I spend a lot of time at Good Will and the Salvation Army. You wouldn't believe the gems I've found there! And don't forget consignment shops too. I've picked up 100% cotton shirts and blouses for cheap, and they still had the tags on them! And don't forget skirts, dresses and draperies. It's always "check the fabric". If the fabric is good, and what you want, and not worn out, and something you'll actually use, it's a bargain.

Muv 09-18-2011 09:49 AM

Love them all, especially number three.

rosemaynes 09-18-2011 09:52 AM

I love it.

Maia B 09-18-2011 09:59 AM

Excellent! I wouldn't have thought you could get such a truly lovely quilt from old shirts.

LeslieFrost 09-18-2011 10:00 AM

These are great!!!

frugalfabrics 09-18-2011 10:11 AM

I love the look of these quilts.

PaperPrincess 09-18-2011 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by MacThayer

Originally Posted by Thusnelda
I like the look of them. But isn't the fabric rather thin? My granmother made the most wonderful pineapple pattern quilt for me using old shirts and dresses. Unfortunately, some pieces pretty soon showed some wear and got torn.

Yes, I ran into that problem with one of my great grandmother's quilts. I solved it by either replacing the patch (a lot of work) or simply appliquéing a new patch over the torn one. That's faster, and you'd be surprised at how nice it looks.

Around here they really look over the shirts before they put them out. I read that I should look out for thin, worn shirts, and check the underarm area for staining and wear, but haven't found any issues like that. I have only purchased 1 shirt with a spot, and it was very small. there were a couple that were more of a looser homespun weave and i just made sure that they were sewn next to a tightly woven one & used a bit smaller stitch.

The bonus is that while looking for cotton (and going every week ;-) ) I was also able to purchase about 8 washable SILK shirts, for a buck each!!!! Most are Aloha prints in a jacquard weave in pastel colors. Can't wait to start on those!

JJean 09-18-2011 10:15 AM

Wow! All gorgeous!

Check out Bonnie Hunter at Quiltville if you have not already.