Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Rethinking a pattern. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/rethinking-pattern-t82874.html)

tjradj 12-14-2010 05:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Ok. I loved the pattern in the magazine, so I went and bought the EIGHT fabrics I wanted for the blocks. That didn't include the backing. I thought, it's a difficult block, so I'll make a test block.
I'm sure glad I did. I did not like the results at all, neither did I care for the center of the star where 16 pieces come together. That alone took 3 tries to get it anywhere near close.
Since I had fabric for a KING size quilt now, I didn't want to put it in the neverland of my stash.
So, I started making blocks. I added a new tan that was a lot lighter. And now I love it. I'm making 80 , ten inch blocks and creating it on the fly. So far, I have 8 point stars, 4 patch, flying geese, pinwheels, square on point and random 16 patch blocks. I can't wait to do the design wall process to figure out where to put them all.
So, the one that was supposed to be, is now a lovely potholder.
And I've got 52 squares of the needed 80 done for a quilt that "I" will love.

What was supposed to be
[ATTACH=CONFIG]143343[/ATTACH]

What is going to be
[ATTACH=CONFIG]143344[/ATTACH]

The other 4 so far
[ATTACH=CONFIG]143345[/ATTACH]

LindaM 12-14-2010 05:11 PM

I love the squares - they'll play so nicely when they're all together in a top :)

What a good thing you did the test block - glad you kept with the fabric to find something you like better.

I see you're just down the road from me - hope you're dug out from the snow! We didn't get last week's blasts that you got, but Sunday/Monday were brutal - yesterday was a hunkering down day.

katier825 12-14-2010 05:14 PM

I think you did the right thing. The lighter tan really shows off the rest of the colors. Looking great!

amma 12-14-2010 05:15 PM

Love all of your blocks :D:D:D
Your pot holder is pretty, but I understand about not continuing if you aren't happy with it for a whole quilt :wink:

BizzieLizzie 12-14-2010 05:18 PM

Your second choice looks really nice and the quilt will look stunning! I am partial to stars and actually like your test block. It may look much nicer with the lighter colour. Perhaps someone can offer a suggestion as to how to deal with the bulk in the middle?

C.Cal Quilt Girl 12-14-2010 06:12 PM

Good Call !!
First one's pretty but the other choices just pop :)

Lilrain 12-14-2010 06:16 PM

you are good at making lemonade out of lemons

deema 12-14-2010 06:19 PM

Love it! I think I'm going to do something similar with a quilt I'm planning for myself. I'm using a collection by connecting threads, and I have the whole line (After Hours). I just can't decide on a pattern...I want to do all of them...so I AM! LOL Heck, I think I might even stick a mini bargello in there!

Shelbie 12-14-2010 06:34 PM

Your new plan for your quilt looks great. I find that blocks with many seams meeting in the middle are often difficult. I was making a pinwheel type block that had eight pieces meeting in the middle and it just wouldn't lie flat and behave. I finally got so frustrated with it that I sewed buttons on to hide the centres. The result was much better than the original and I'm sure this quilt will work out that way too. Happy stitching. Are you in the snow squall area? We have had 3 feet of snow between yesterday and today.

Dani 12-14-2010 08:28 PM

I love your fabric colors. A sampler quilt is always nice. You have a nice start. The tan color that was in your original block.....can you include that color in some of your sampler blocks....I love it with the other fabrics. still use the lighter fabric as background or contrasting color.

Can't wait 'til it's done and you can share with us.