Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Roman stripe from HELL (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/roman-stripe-hell-t8956.html)

SaraSewing 07-11-2008 10:23 AM

3 Attachment(s)
When I was too young to know better, I went through my mother's scraps and was allowed to take only the tiny ones. I diligently cut thousands of them, then sewed and sewed and sewed. I finished it when I was still a teenager. But I hated it so much I kept it folded up in a drawer at my mother's house. Well, my sister decided to surprise me. She put red on the back because it's my daughters favorite color, and finished it up for a wedding gift to my daughter. She loves crows foot too, and does a great job. Over all, this is a loud, garish, brash quilt, but Rachel, LOVES it!

What a assult on the eyes! Looks like every color just vomited out here.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]14470[/ATTACH]

Made when I didn't know any better!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]14471[/ATTACH]

It took up me teenage years so I didn't get in trouble.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]33539[/ATTACH]

Shadow Dancer 07-11-2008 10:29 AM

Wow!! What a wonderful heirloom for your daughter. :) You might think it's loud and garish, but I bet your daughter sees a treasure that will make her think of her Mum every time she looks at it. :)

Chele 07-11-2008 10:37 AM

I absolutely love it! :D :D What a wonderful gift for your daughter. I know I would treasure it if it were mine!

mgshaw 07-11-2008 10:41 AM

You did a wonderful job for a teenager and there is nothing wrong with it at all. Funny how you view things differently at different stages in life. I am sure at the time you were quite proud and now , well love the caption on the 2nd picture!! Your daughter will treasure it!!!

Moonpi 07-11-2008 10:46 AM

That's really colorful! I came across a similar foundling at one point and took wide grossgrain ribbon to it as faux sashing. A large diamond in the center - a couple more on the outside, and at corners, a set at 90* makinng squares. It really changed it a lot! The bright colors found boundaries and glittered like stained glass.

I've also seen tops that were "too busy" to finish cut into 60* diamonds to form one big star against a solid background. It is a perfect base, but just needs an extreme light or dark to give your eyes a place to set. Strictly my own opinion. Your mileage may vary.

barnbum 07-11-2008 11:22 AM

No wonder your daughter loves it so!! It's made with her mom's loving stitches--and it's a part of history! That's an amazing quilt! And so comforting I bet.

Send your sister a dozen roses. :D

Marcia 07-11-2008 12:08 PM

I think that your daughter's quilt is wonderful! And what a sweet sister you have to do that for her.

SuzyM 07-11-2008 12:10 PM

I love this quilt - it right up my alley. I like that she counted all of the stripes.

justme 07-11-2008 12:23 PM

Your sister did the right thing, I give her two :thumbup: :thumbup: !!!!

You did a great job too! That quilt represents something your daughter loves...... YOU!

Kyiav10 07-11-2008 12:37 PM

I love the quilt and the idea behind it. I like the scrappy look.

Kyia