Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Sashing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/sashing-t127846.html)

cminor 06-03-2011 04:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have been working on this on and off for a while - and started using the dimensions I got from Quilt Deisign Wizard. Then . . .I got my super duper Fons & Porter rulers that changed my quilting life! I love these rulers so much - but now my blocks have somehow ended up a few different sizes. Some are 12.5 like they should be. . some are closer to 11.5 - and all inbetween.

Any idea's as to how I can put this together and not look too bad? This is just for me and I will love it no matter what. I had a lot of fun doing the piecing and learned a lot. But I also want it to look as good as possible.

I don't want to start over - and I was hoping I could somehow work the sashing to mask some of the different sizes. .

I also can't cut them all down because it will ruin some of the blocks. . any ideas??

PaperPrincess 06-03-2011 04:35 PM

I would use the multi print to add strips to the small blocks to make them all 12.5". Add like a 1" strip on all 4 sides, then trim down to 12.5". assemble the quilt using the tan as sashing.

ube quilting 06-03-2011 04:40 PM

Paper princess has a good idea. Using the multi-print to add the extra needed piece will make any seams almost invisable. Then add sashing as usual and finish a great quilt.
Peace

cindy4857 06-03-2011 04:58 PM

I thought of sashing and then having them be off set hard to explain in type but maybe making a 12" in to a 14 x 16 rectangale shape by adding a boarder around the block, then doing on the 12 1/2 size then a 10" and making it into a pizzle with sashing and boarder to break it up. Hard to image yeah wish I could print my ideas. sry if its no help.

cindy4857 06-03-2011 04:59 PM

I guess my idea was on the order of the way they do appl. sampler quilts.

hobo2000 06-03-2011 05:05 PM

You could try to set them on point with sashing. Finding 3 or 5 the same size for a row is easier than a straight set where you would notice if a row were smaller than another. Just food for thought.

eastermarie 06-03-2011 05:37 PM

The lady that is teaching me how to quilt finished a quilt from the blocks her aunt had made a long time ago. The blocks were not the same size. She sewed a tiny orchid print around the outside edge of all the blocks, and then trimmed them all to a standard size. She used a light orchid solid as sashing. It turned out to be a lovely quilt. What ube quilting said would work well.

cminor 06-03-2011 05:42 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. . .now that I look at them 6 of the 16 are 12.5 on the dot. Those are the ones I made with my rulers. The other are all about 12 to 12 1/4 so just a tad short.

Do you think a boarder that small around the 10 blocks would look funny? Or should I put a boarder around all of them at maybe 13?

I thought about the on point. But some of these blocks loose their look on point. . .too bad since I really do like that look better :)

LeslieFrost 06-03-2011 05:47 PM

Can you group them into rows of blocks that are the same in one dimension? If yes, you can add plain blocks/wide sashing to fill out the shorter rows to match the others.

If not -- you might have to just try out the very narrow build out of a block and see what you think.

Jingle 06-03-2011 06:11 PM

I am sure it will be beautiful however you put it together. Great choice of colors.