Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Sewing After 'sandy' (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/sewing-after-sandy-t205093.html)

ube quilting 11-04-2012 01:48 PM

Sewing After 'sandy'

4 Attachment(s)
Well, 'Sandy' is gone and here is how I kept busy with no power for a week.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]374357[/ATTACH]

The end of the kitchen hols my treadle machine in a nice sunny window. Heated my iron on a kerosene heater and I was good to go!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]374358[/ATTACH]
Camping stove to the right, just perfect for a morning cup of home percolated coffee, homefries and scrambled eggs.

I worked on a practice piece for a big quilt. This is the trial block.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]374359[/ATTACH]

And last the completed samlpe. The finished quilt will be for a shore house in NJ that a friend owns.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]374360[/ATTACH]

I'm very glad to be back on the QB again!
peace

NJ Quilter 11-04-2012 02:09 PM

Glad you made it through safe & sound. I'm sure your friend will be especially appreciative. Hope they fared reasonably well at the shore.

sammygirlqt 11-04-2012 02:12 PM

Hurray, good for you to be so prepared and to keep yourself safe. I love that quilt block you have made. Please show us the finished quilt. I love your retro kitchen...very nice home. It still must have felt a bit funny with no radio, TV and those usual things we are so attached to. Glad you have power back on...I just heard on our Canadian news that 400 power guys from Ontario and Quebec will be in NY for 3 weeks to help.

Kathy T. 11-04-2012 02:52 PM

It's wonderful that you were so well prepared and self-sufficient. You were very smart. I love the crab block for your next quilt. Take care if you have to clean up in your area.

Tartan 11-04-2012 02:59 PM

A quilter will find a way to quilt. I always thought the reason they called those irons " sad irons" was because you would cry after using it to iron all day. :D I LOVE that Crab block you have finished.

Rosie the "Ripper" 11-04-2012 02:59 PM

Quilters are very creative people and you proved that - actually, it was ingenious. Good luck returning to normal and speedy recovery. Keep on quilting!

Fuzzykittenbutt 11-04-2012 02:59 PM

hah! i love your sample block...cute little crab! Perfect for a shore house!

Tweety2911 11-04-2012 03:00 PM

You are a very resourceful quilter! Great job! Please post the when finished:thumbup:

alfosa421 11-04-2012 03:01 PM

So glad to hear you are safe and sound

Betty J 11-04-2012 03:14 PM

Well done

Originally Posted by Tweety2911 (Post 5634922)
You are a very resourceful quilter! Great job! Please post the when finished:thumbup:

Just shows how resourceful we can be when the need arrises. Good that you are safe and sound. Sewing and quilting are wonderful ways to divert our worries and anxieties. I have my Grand Mothers treadle machine and once used it to finish a project when we had a power outage.

We done and I love your crab blocks.