Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Showing off my shadow trapunto (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/showing-off-my-shadow-trapunto-t195708.html)

Skittl1321 07-25-2012 09:18 AM

Showing off my shadow trapunto

2 Attachment(s)
I am working on a shadow trapunto wall hanging. It will have twelve 12" squares and one 24" square. It is quilt as you go, so I am doing them one at a time. This is basically serving as a free motion quilting sampler. I decided about a year ago that I wanted to learn to FMQ, so this is the years progress.

I did these two squares in a day- they were looser than the other quilting I had done on this quilt, so they went a lot faster. These were both marked designs, although the circle design I didn't mark very well, so it is a little off. These were inspired by Diane Gaudynski

Skittl1321 07-25-2012 09:19 AM

3 Attachment(s)
The first post were my most recent ones. Here are the first three I did.

It takes me about a day's work to do each of these squares. I don't quilt all day long, but that is the best time estimate I can give.

kitsykeel 07-25-2012 09:28 AM

Wow, love your trapunto and the fmq is great. I like the idea of doing a quilt as you go on each block. I might try that.

liont 07-25-2012 09:32 AM

Wow at the FMQ!

Skittl1321 07-25-2012 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by kitsykeel (Post 5393349)
Wow, love your trapunto and the fmq is great. I like the idea of doing a quilt as you go on each block. I might try that.

I like quilt as you go, but joining the squares neatly, like everything in quilting, does take practice. That's actually the part of this quilt I am most nervous about.

Skittl1321 07-25-2012 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by liont (Post 5393357)
Wow at the FMQ!

That is one thing I've had problems with on this quilt. I want every square to be different, but I just don't quite have the mastery on enough different designs. I've spent a lot of time doodling to try to figure out which ones are best in my head and in my hands. It really is true (once you have the basic timing down) if you can draw it, your can quilt it.

lfstamper 07-25-2012 10:26 AM

Great job! Love the pink and white and how the quilting makes it all pop!

buddy'smom 07-25-2012 10:48 AM

I think your doing an awesome job.

feline fanatic 07-25-2012 11:05 AM

Gorgeous work! Your Diane-shiko would make Diane beam with pride. Based on what you have posted so far you could do Diane's headbands and bouncing bananas as background quite easily. Your skills are definitely there for those two. And they are quite attactive done as a background fill. Have you gone to Leah Day's website for additional ideas on background fills?

yonnikka 07-25-2012 11:14 AM

I would like to see some photos showing your technique. How to begin, how to get that white snowflake on, how to cut away the excess. etc.