Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Some Pictures of Quilt Storage Chests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/some-pictures-quilt-storage-chests-t151294.html)

Fixedgearhead 09-08-2011 05:21 AM

4 Attachment(s)
The first 2 pictures are of the style of hope chest that I have made for each of my nieces at about age 16 or so, for Wedding Dowry storage and quilt storage. I previously have given them each a quilt of their own. The Chest is constructed of Pine and is made with dovetailed corners and Solid brass handles, and solid brass keyed lock. The top is of the floating panel style which allows for expansion and contraction due to humidity changes (important). The bottom of the chest is made of fragrant Cedar to inhibit moths. The 3rd and 4th Pictures are of a Standard blanket storage chest with a breadboard top and cedar bottom, that I make for myself. Dovetail construction throughout, and Cast Iron handles and no lock. The brass hinges on the chest allow for the placement of the chest up close against a wall or other obstruction, because they move forward when the chest is opened and do not allow the top to come into contact against the wall. I love making these chests for the nieces as they are a throwback to an earlier time. When dowry chests were the common first piece of furniture that a young woman would acquire, usually from an Uncle or other relative. Even though dowry is not much in common usage in America in the 21st century, The gift, I hope, is still appreciated.
John

Traditional Pine Hope Chest
[ATTACH=CONFIG]253158[/ATTACH]

Hope Chest open
[ATTACH=CONFIG]253159[/ATTACH]

Pine Quilt Storage Chest
[ATTACH=CONFIG]253160[/ATTACH]

Quilt storage chest open
[ATTACH=CONFIG]253161[/ATTACH]

bodie358 09-08-2011 05:23 AM

You are the most talented man! Beautiful. I look forward to all of your posts.

joym 09-08-2011 05:24 AM

oh boy...how nice are those....and how lucky are they to receive them

bstock 09-08-2011 05:24 AM

Those are beatiful!! What a nice gift. Thanks for sharing.

MTS 09-08-2011 05:25 AM

Beautiful and quietly elegant.
I love seeing real craftsmanship and thought put into every part of the construction (hinges, etc).

I'm guessing you don't own a nail gun? :mrgreen:

Thanks for sharing.

Fixedgearhead 09-08-2011 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
Beautiful and quietly elegant.
I love seeing real craftsmanship and thought put into every part of the construction (hinges, etc).

I'm guessing you don't own a nail gun? :mrgreen:

Thanks for sharing.

I actually do own a nail gun but it doesn't get used on these sorts of things. More for putting moldings on things, as they can place small brads into the exact place needed. I really don't use it much, but it is one of those tools that you are glad you have if you need it.
John

btiny36 09-08-2011 05:36 AM

wow you are some talented person.... :thumbup:

sewNso 09-08-2011 05:40 AM

What beautiful chests and workman ship. you are a very talanted person. BUT...
are those your quilts you are storing? if they are, i heard it mentioned at a quilt quild i belonged to at one time, that... quilts just being stored on a wooden shelf would discolor from having touched the wood at some point. this was said, as some antique quilts were being displayed. and they were saying why they were discolored. maybe you should line those chests, if they are your storage.

dakotamaid 09-08-2011 05:40 AM

Beautiful work! Correct me if I'm wrong but is varnish on the inside? If so that could damage fabric over time. Polyurethane would be better? Don't know, just asking as my sister who restores old trunks says she puts archive wallpaper on the inside of trunks that will have quilts stored in them.

katesnanna 09-08-2011 05:41 AM

Beautiful chests You are very talented. Your nieces are very lucky to have you for an uncle.