Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Some Quilts In Our Home (PICS) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/some-quilts-our-home-pics-t840.html)

ButtercreamCakeArtist 03-27-2007 02:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some of the quilts we own. See description below the pic for info on who made it.

Sorry this isn't a full pic. This is hanging on my wall. It is fully sewn by hand and quilted. MIL made it for my B-day last year. I love lighthouses and blue.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]67033[/ATTACH]

This is a large quilt made by my DH's great-great Aunt. Machine quilted. I love this! I use it all the time.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]67092[/ATTACH]

This one weighs a TON! Made by my DH's late Great-Grandma. It is hand pieced and quilted with YARN! Not tied, quilted! wow! I know it is old, but I have no idea how old.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]67250[/ATTACH]

Knot Sew 03-27-2007 02:17 PM

those are really nice.............It seems to give you contact with the people who loveingly created them. My other hobby is genealogy , you get to know things about your family, makes them live for you, just like a quilt does

zyxquilts 03-27-2007 02:20 PM

Miranda, you lucky duck! Those are wonderful family histories you have there! I have the quilt that my Great Grandmother made for my Dad when he was about 9 yrs old - and it is worn to a nubbin! I think Dad said that she called it the Wheel of Fortune, and that she waited until she knew what each grandchild was going to be like before she picked a pattern. (Dad once supported a family of 4 playing Pinochle! :wink: Ahem!) BTW, Dad will be 90 this May!
You are so lucky to be able to use your quilts. Tell your MIL that she does fabulous work!
sue

Norah 03-27-2007 03:12 PM

Never have I seen a quilt actually quilted with yarn. What treasures. I have some old family quilts I love. And, Ruth, I am a genealogy nut as well.

ButtercreamCakeArtist 03-27-2007 06:01 PM

I am lucky, and I know it! I have a lot more quilts to post for you guys. DH's g-Granny waited until she died to let anyone have her quilts. She would get them out and show us and tell us the price. :lol:
Her g-daughter that was in charge of giving the G-G grandkids (my kids) their quilts, well, she didn't give us the better ones. I'm thankful for the ones we did get, though! They'll be up soon. It takes me forever to upload pics. I think I will only upload one at a time from now on.
Keep on letting me know whatcha think when I post more!

live2teach 03-27-2007 10:33 PM

I loved her quilts. Clint has a couple out here. I know, I always remember her showing all of her quilts and giving us prices. At that time, we didn't have the extra money to buy all of the ones we wanted, because we would have taken all of them. LOL. Now I wish we would have. I love the one that she quilted with yarn. That is so creative. I still can't believe she is gone.... :(

ButtercreamCakeArtist 03-28-2007 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by live2teach
I loved her quilts. Clint has a couple out here. I know, I always remember her showing all of her quilts and giving us prices. At that time, we didn't have the extra money to buy all of the ones we wanted, because we would have taken all of them. LOL. Now I wish we would have. I love the one that she quilted with yarn. That is so creative. I still can't believe she is gone.... :(

:lol: Granny was a "character"! I can't believe she's been gone over a year. We never had the extra cash, either. Her minimum was $300, I think. She was mostly in the $600-range, or telling about how she got that for them all the time when so-and-so took them somewhere for her! :D
She did such wonderful work. I wish I still had the opportunity to go visit her and be "force fed" cake with freshly picked cherries or homemade wine or something! She always thought everyone needed to be fed! :)

ButtercreamCakeArtist 03-28-2007 04:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is one more pic.

Another of Granny's yarn-quilted quilts.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]621[/ATTACH]

Knot Sew 03-28-2007 04:36 AM

Wow! I never liked yarn to tie with.........but hers are a work of art. I can't imagine how long it took to quilt it.

zyxquilts 03-28-2007 06:54 AM

Amazing! She surely was a creative woman! :D
sue