Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Suggestions, please! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/suggestions-please-t150548.html)

Rylandon3 09-05-2011 07:14 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I've posted a couple of pics of an old quilt made by my grandma...probably made in the 1920's or 30's...when I got it, it was torn and very worn. My question...what should I do with it? I was thinking of cutting a big section of it to frame...but I cringe when I think of cutting it up, even though it is of little use as it is.
Any ideas? It was really pretty in its day and all hand made.

catrancher 09-05-2011 07:20 AM

I might cut out the sections that are torn and put a wide border/sashing to connect the center with the outer sections. Then, I might use the part I cut in other ways.

erstan947 09-05-2011 07:24 AM

I understand your thoughts. If you want to keep in intact I would "patch" the holes and applique flowers, etc over the patch with vintage cloth or reproductions.

Framing sections would also work. Making stuffed animals or a jacket are other options.

You can always display it folded so the damaged areas are not seen.

sewdarnbusy 09-05-2011 07:26 AM

I think you could cut it in sections & bind them to make a few baby quilts. Also you could applique on a section and frame it.
Be sure to keep it in the family, it's a wonderful tribute to grandma. Everyone could have a piece of the pie. It's beautiful!!
You could make a darling vest or jacket to wear to quilt shows. It's already lined and quilted.

Zebra2 09-05-2011 07:28 AM

Make smaller projects for other family members?? and maybe include a picture of it and your grandma on the label???

Morningcoffeegal 09-05-2011 07:30 AM

Looks to me like the damaged part is just mainly the center, you could cut the center part out just beyond the damage then make a new center using the cut out part in an applique pattern then stitch the quilted center into the quilt. Hope this makes sense to you!

quilter1430 09-05-2011 07:31 AM

It's obviously of no use now, so if you did cut off a section, at least it would be appreciated in a frame or a small throw. Too bad about the holes. It sure is lovely.

jbud2 09-05-2011 07:33 AM

Besides the big holes, it looks like the quilt on the left side of the picture is suffering from time also. Maybe you cut it and make pillows for on your bed or sofa.

Highmtn 09-05-2011 07:34 AM

sewdarnbusy..
Love the idea of salvaging the healthy parts of the quilt and making several smaller projects to share with family! What a wonderful Christmas gift. I saved the ancient floor to ceiling curtains from our parents old home. The house had been in our family for over 60 years and I believe the curtains were never changed. When I took them down I wondered if they had EVER been washed *cough cough* - yikes. But.. I envision making a throw pillow for each of my siblings just as a remembrance. The pattern is vintage art deco with giant magnolia's and wild looking leaves. I'm worried that washing (no matter how gentle) might be the end of them, but I'm going to try it. We stared at those dining room curtains for our whole lives.

debcavan 09-05-2011 07:37 AM

It is so beautiful and such a treasure. I guess I am with putting an applique over the area. I think I would try to put a solid fabric where the fabric is missing and then do the applique.