Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Summer quilts - graduates (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/summer-quilts-graduates-t127455.html)

JanTx 06-02-2011 07:26 AM

3 Attachment(s)
A dear lady at church made quilts for every graduating senior for over 20 years. Back in 1998 and 2000 my own two children were blessed by that kindness. She has been in a nursing home a few years now - she's nearly 100! - and has been unable to continue this. When I started quilting - not quite a year ago - one of my goals was to take that task. Fortunately we worship with a small congregation and there are only 4 seniors this year - one girl and 3 boys.

These are summer quilts - no batting. The boy ones use sheets as backings. With those two savings the boy quilts cost just about $20 each. The girl's has on sale quilt store backing so came in around $40.

I can't wait to give these to these young people! Even if they don't know enough to appreciate them now I have been blessed in the making of them.

craftybear 06-02-2011 07:29 AM

that is so nice of you to take the time to make the quilts for the graduates

Thanks for doing it for them.

MellieKQuilter 06-02-2011 07:33 AM

Very nice! I recognize the deer material... used that for the first quilt I made for my BF. :)

SueN 06-02-2011 07:37 AM

How nice of you to take on this wonderful job. Not only do the graduates receive a beautiful quilt, they also see the joy you have in giving. Hopefully, the joy of giving is a message they can take to heart and carry on with it.

blueangel 06-02-2011 07:37 AM

How wonderful.

dellareya 06-02-2011 07:37 AM

I'm sure the seniors will cherish the quilts. Blessing to you for your good works.

Tallulah 06-02-2011 07:59 AM

Good for you! How nice. There was a older lady in our church who pieced quilt tops and gave them as gifts for graduating seniors and weddings. My mom had mine quilted and I used it all through college and then my daughter used it on her twin bed for years and took it to college, too. It is getting tattered, but was loved.

People used to give the lady all of their scraps left from sewing garments.

lbaillie 06-02-2011 08:17 AM

what a wonderful tradition to continue.

JanTx 06-02-2011 08:19 AM

The girl one is a honey bun (ebay) and borders are leftovers from a quilt I made a grandson. The backing is LQS. Pattern is .. cobblestone? A free pattern I got off here.

The strippy one is another ebay honey bun purchase. The sashing and borders are from Hobby Lobby and the tan is a sheet. I made up the blocks from work I've seen on here. The borders are Hobby Lobby.

The brown one is a 3 one-yard pattern from Fabric Cafe. The fabric came from a 5 0ne-yard bundle I got at a cheap cheap sale. Ended up being about $3/yard. I'll use the two other yards for something else. The brown is a sheet.

The deer one is all walmart fabric. The pattern is from Fabric Cafe for a 3 one-yard bundle. The backing is a sheet.

I quilted them with a scallop stitch across the ditch - easy when there's no batting! The binding is brought over from the backing and zigzagged. I simply had to have some way that wouldn't make me dread having to do them!

Mama Jen 06-02-2011 08:22 AM

we are kindred spirits...my quilts go to babies in my church...however, I can't quite keep up...we have had 45 babies born in the last 5 years!

Nicely done and what a blessing, keep up your ministry, it is appreciated.