Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Sweet Dreams in the Garden (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/sweet-dreams-garden-t223290.html)

Karenjane 06-08-2013 07:51 PM

Sweet Dreams in the Garden

5 Attachment(s)
Finally finished the quilt for our new, and 1st granddaughter. She's beautiful, as if I'd say anything else. I had my daughter do some looking for something she would like in a baby quilt and I found a few things for her to look at, too. We settled on a pattern by Karla Alexander for Saginaw Street Quilt Company called Crazy Dreams. I picked my own fabrics and made some changes to suit us and give it more of a "for baby" feel. I just couldn't call a quilt for a sweet baby "Crazy" so I named it "Sweet Dreams in the Garden." I picked some florals, one with butterflies and dragonflies, some abstracts and a batik. We wanted it femine but not overly girly. My daughter loved the fabric choices so I got to work on the cutting and piecing. The pattern had an interesting piecing technique for the crazy patch squares that I'm sure I'll use again. I was nearly finished with the quilting when she went into labor. I was able to complete the quilting before they came home even though I had 3-year old big brother at my house. What a bundle of energy and noise, but I enjoyed every minute of it.

I tried to stretch my FMQ skills on this one, wanted to do some new things. I did a meander with stars thrown in to keep with the celestial theme. There is a sleeping sun and a half moon with a ring of stars in alternating corners, thought they added a bit of whimsy and I had to add a bow in the sleeping babies curl. The repeating vine and the pebbling on the moon were fun and feel I can add that to my FMQ repertoire. Overall I'm pleased with the result, not perfection at all, but something she can use as she grows. Looking forward to making both of them many more things.

Rosie the "Ripper" 06-08-2013 08:02 PM

What a darling quilt! She will be able to use it for many many years and think of "grandma" each time she looks at it.
Beautiful quilting I might add too. Looks like you have been at it for a long long time. You should be proud of yourself.

mom-6 06-08-2013 08:03 PM

Beautiful!
Maybe someday I can graduate to fun designs like that in my quilting.

owlvamp 06-08-2013 08:06 PM

That is beautiful. Great job!

SheriR 06-08-2013 09:19 PM

It's beautiful! You're so creative. Great FM!

busy fingers 06-08-2013 10:59 PM

That is just gorgeous. Many sweet dreams for the new bub.

key4unc 06-09-2013 03:06 AM

Adorable!!

dilyn 06-09-2013 03:07 AM

Your quilting skills just keep getting more skilled and creative! I love the sleeping moon holding the sleeping baby. It looks so peaceful with the butterflies and dragonflies keeping watch. Love, love, love it!

sewmom 06-09-2013 03:17 AM

That is a fantastic quilt! So cute. Love the quilting. And congratulations on a new granddaughter. I'm still waiting for one- have 3 DGs.

buddy'smom 06-09-2013 03:31 AM

Just awesome, and your beautiful Granddaughter will cherish it for many years to come.