Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Swiss Granny_59 impresses Canadian Judges with her "amazing" work!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/swiss-granny_59-impresses-canadian-judges-her-amazing-work-t201644.html)

QuiltE 09-27-2012 05:36 AM

Swiss Granny_59 impresses Canadian Judges with her "amazing" work!!!

1 Attachment(s)
Last winter I was surprised when I went to the Post Office one day, and found a parcel from Granny_59. When I came home and opened it, I was more than shocked that she had parted with this beautiful and incredible mini Many of you will remember it when she showed it hanging from an elephant while she was in Sri Lanka.

When I was gathering entries for the Fair this past weekend, I decided it absolutely HAD to go ... and took it along, entering it in her name, and country!

Needless to say, the Judges were wowed!!!! The back of the entry tag had a note "Amazing!!!" BTW our Judges never tend to go out of their way to say "well done" as notes tend to be constructive criticism to help entrants do a better job. So, a note like this really says how much they were taken by her work! ... we already knew that, didn't we? :D

There was more chatter about this little quilt with all the tiny pieces and all that quilting and unbelievable work(wo)manship ... than anything else at the Fair. I soaked it up, and tried to relay all that to Granny_59 via email. It made me all the more thrilled to have been given the honour to own this piece of work!

The quilt is called ... "Ayubovan" ... and I'll let Granny_59 tell you more of that story!
And saving the best part til last ... the photo!!!!!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]365898[/ATTACH]
And yes ... all those red lines are a mere 1/4" in size ... and the blades of the dresden plates are only 3/4"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D And yes, Granny_59 ... I am your rotten, sneaky, terrible friend!!!!!!! ..... SMILE away! :D

works4me 09-27-2012 05:43 AM

Wonderful work. Even more amazing knowing the size of it. And hand quilted, too. Wow!

Well done Granny_59 and good for you, QuiltE, for showing it.

nunnyJo 09-27-2012 06:01 AM

omgoodness, this is amazing work, beautiful

MrsM 09-27-2012 06:04 AM

This was so great of you to enter it. It is such an amazing quilt. Kudos to you both!

granny_59 09-27-2012 10:02 AM

It was more than great to enter it...........behind my back! lol

I just wanted to tell you that QuiltE did much more than going to the post office last winter. I had asked on this board for somebody to proofread the english text on our page about Sri Lanka.
(BTW if you go to srilankahelp.com you get to the english text. At .ch you have to click on the United Kingdom flag.)

QuiltE did such an outstanding job and went to any length to be helpfull. Her work was far beyond just proofreading and she must have spend innumerous hours and days to do this.............as a volunteer!! We would not have been able to pay for such professional work in any way.
Thats how the little quilt got all the way to Canada. As QuiltE did so much for Sri Lanka, I thought she must have it as I had quilting it there and I still consider it a small bayback for what she did for us.

To enter it in my name was about the nicest thing I can think of and I cant express what it means to me! Winning a ribbon was not on my list - not even in my wildest dreams. There is no such thing around here and I even gave up telling family and friends about it. All this: "whats that.....?" is rather depressing and therefore all this feedback on this board means the world to me.

Thank you to the board to find so many special people and such an outstanding friend like you, QuiltE

A once again teary swiss Granny

MamaBear61 09-27-2012 01:06 PM

Wow, it is a beautiful little quilt and a wonderful story to go with it. Well done Granny59 and QuiltE.

raynhamquilter 09-27-2012 01:14 PM

Love truly makes the world go round. Congrats

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 09-27-2012 01:16 PM

I remember seeing that posted before. I thought it was beautiful then and I guess the judges agree! How fun for you both to win this award.

Diane007 09-27-2012 01:38 PM

very nice.......

busy fingers 09-27-2012 02:32 PM

Amazing is right. What a lovely story to go with it.

Sometimes I think that we live in a big bad world when I turn on the news each day and hear about all the warring, poverty, starvation and cruelty but when I read about peoples generosity to others it gives me hope.