Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   T-shirt quilt - rectangles? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/t-shirt-quilt-rectangles-t224167.html)

JanTx 06-20-2013 05:26 PM

T-shirt quilt - rectangles?

3 Attachment(s)
This is my first t-shirt quilt. I went to a class at a quilt shop and the template we used was 14 X 18. I had only imagined square blocks so this surprised me. I liked it for the most part because several of the graphics would not have fit in a square template. For those that had too much blank space at the bottom I took a graphic from another shirt and appliqued it on the block. I also put the label on the front to fill in the gap on one of the blocks. The owner of this quilt really liked that.

I used Quilter's Dream Poly for the batting. This requires stitching only every 12 inches. I hoped to keep the graphics more readable that way. I'm not sure I like the way the blocks look with this sparseness, but ... it is what it is!

I used a pellon featherweight stabilizer. It did not stay fused to the shirt as I thought it would. Is that true for most of these products? Because of the rectangular template I ended up with a quilt top that was too narrow for its length. So ... I adjusted the borders and sashing to compensate for that. The quilt ended up 60 X 80 overall.

yel 06-20-2013 05:28 PM

if shirt have to much fabric softener in them that iron on stuff [most all of it ]won't stick

gmcsewer 06-20-2013 05:32 PM

Very nice. I like the size of the blocks. But it could depend on the size of the tshirts. I usually use my 12 1/2 x 12 1/2 ruler to cut the interfacing and then press it on to the back of the t shirt design. I don't think I have seen the batting you mentioned. I would like it especially for these t shirt quilts. Good work.

AlienQuilter 06-20-2013 05:32 PM

I really like your quilt. T-shirt quilts are so unique to the person you are making it for.

I was told not to use fabric softner when washing the t-shirts because it won't stick. Did not think twice about using dryer sheets - they also caused the t-shirts not to stick to the pellon. Had to rewash all the t-shirts.

JanTx 06-20-2013 05:35 PM

That may have been it - these were much loved, much worn shirts. I didn't wash them - the owner did - didn't think to ask about softener. So .. the consensus for next time is - wash no matter how they arrive - with no dryer sheet or other softener.

JanTx 06-20-2013 05:37 PM

I got the batting from the quilt shop. I usually use Hobbs 80/20 and get it on sale from Connecting Threads. The quilt shop batting was only about $2 more for the throw size so definitely worth it for this type quilt.

gabeway 06-21-2013 04:43 AM

It came out great!

mighty 06-21-2013 07:18 AM

Wow, it turned out terrific!!!!!!!!

GailG 06-21-2013 10:39 AM

Beautiful tee shirt quilt! Congratulations!

Nammie to 7 06-21-2013 02:28 PM

You did a nice job. I'm hoping my daughter is saving all her kids tshirts so I can do this for them