Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Tangled Star and another handpainted border!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/tangled-star-another-handpainted-border-t72718.html)

n2scraplvr 10-27-2010 07:51 PM

7 Attachment(s)
After doing one block of this Tangled Star, I decided not to go any further and turned it into a mini. I'll include my pattern for you. If you make this block, the diagonals are done separately and then joined together. Piecing needs to be done precisely and I like it better done in 3 colors than scrappy like I did. I realized I didn't make the pattern right because when I finished, there was no room to add borders so I had to sew on the edge. LOL. I HQ it and the back was turned to the front for the binding.

I handpainted this Rose Trellis border at the same time I marbelized the fabrics for my last mini, Spiky Poppies. I found an orphan block that will look great with this border. The border I painted the entire 22" length so I'll be able to use bits of it for another mini border! I haven't painted the fine details of the roses yet, but just may leave it as is since the scale needs to be right for the mini. I really am having fun with the painting part and it's a nice change to do a border first and then pick out a block or design a mini from it. Hope you like my projects. Tangled Star is also known as Birthday Star. I'll include a picture of the block for you to see how it looks in 3 colors. Can't remember where I found this. Thanks for looking! :-D

close up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]95456[/ATTACH]

here's more of the strip showing my color wash
[ATTACH=CONFIG]95510[/ATTACH]

Tangled Star mini
[ATTACH=CONFIG]95540[/ATTACH]

here it is on point
[ATTACH=CONFIG]95541[/ATTACH]

here's the block shown in 3 colors
[ATTACH=CONFIG]95542[/ATTACH]

here's my pattern
[ATTACH=CONFIG]95954[/ATTACH]

handpainted Rose Trellis border I'll use w/this pinwheel block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]96250[/ATTACH]

oksewglad 10-27-2010 08:12 PM

n2, you know we really have to show our "oh oh's" One really misses the interlocking effect as shown with the 3 colors. Love how you experiment with paint, especially from someone only uses paint for her walls! Thanks for sharing. G

nlgh 10-27-2010 08:48 PM

Your Tangled Star block shows how versatile the pattern is--scrappy or organized colorwise. It is pretty both ways. I love your fabric painting. I've never done any and maybe someday I'll get brave enough to try it.

littlehud 10-28-2010 08:41 AM

What a cool pattern. I like your scrappy effect and that border is awesome.

n2scraplvr 11-01-2010 06:25 PM

Thank you, Patty, Nigh and G for your nice compliments!!! ;) :D :D :D

Cuddly Quilter 12-29-2010 10:22 PM

This is very clever - thanks now i know how to adapt a pattern to suit myself. Lovely

n2scraplvr 12-29-2010 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Cuddly Quilter
This is very clever - thanks now i know how to adapt a pattern to suit myself. Lovely

Thank you, Cuddly Quilter!! It's so sweet of you to say!! ;-) :D :D :D

Marion T 05-29-2011 04:18 AM

So clever!! Although you do lose the three dimensional effect, I really like the scrappy one. thanks for posting, I'm going to have a go at this.

n2scraplvr 05-29-2011 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Marion T
So clever!! Although you do lose the three dimensional effect, I really like the scrappy one. thanks for posting, I'm going to have a go at this.

We can't wait to see your version! Bet it will be beautiful done in all scrappy! It is a neat pattern and the effects can be dramatic! Be sure and post pics when done and your very welcome! :-D :-D :wink: