Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Tetris with a Gee's Bend twist quilt pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/tetris-gees-bend-twist-quilt-pattern-t18670.html)

boomwooshblahh 04-07-2009 03:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I'm taking a quilting class at my university, and we have to do a reserach project---I'm doing mine about Gee's Bend. My fiance helped me come up with a design that's kind of like Tetris with a Gee's Bend twist. I started out with a grid where I filled in a 16x24-square rectangle with the different tetris shapes. Then I broke that design into 24 different 4x4 squares (this is shown in the third picture). Then I rotated each block randomly (either 0, 90, 180, or 270 degrees) and will sew them together. This final design is shown in the second picture. The fabrics I plan to use are shown, I plan on getting a solid black to use as the backing and probably the binding/border as well. I also plan on quilting the "original" design into the quilt, using a multi-colored thread on the black backing.... that way there's kind of an "answer" to the "puzzle" on the back. The "puzzle" is to figure out how the different tetris pieces were situated before.

So, what do y'all think of the design? And do you think it at least somewhat vaguely has a Gee's Bend twist to it?

These are the fabrics.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]31583[/ATTACH]

Finished design.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]31584[/ATTACH]

The "original" pattern. I'll sew each of the 24 4x4 blocks before rotating them randomly and sewing them together to get the finished design...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]31585[/ATTACH]

patricej 04-07-2009 03:51 PM

that's one heckuva pattern!!! :P

it would take me a year to make it. six months of painstakingly laying out the patches in the right places ... another six taking them apart and resewing because i'd gotten the colors in the wrong places. :lol: :lol: :lol:

but you'll have pictures for us of the finished quilt tomorrow, right? :wink: 8) :lol:

boomwooshblahh 04-07-2009 03:54 PM

Tomorrow! Ha! I do have about 2 weeks to get it done though... I can see some late nights in the very near future. I'm dreading having to cut all those squares the most. I really should go start that pretty soon, rather than being on here.

BlueChicken 04-07-2009 03:55 PM

What an awesome pattern! I can't see the fabrics too well, but love the pattern, it's very cool.

I remember when Tetris was first released, pc's were not yet hugely available, and we used to play it at work on the one pc in the office. It's a very addictive game!

I really don't need another project at the moment, but would love to do the same sort of thing one day. Would it be ok to copy the idea and do my own some time?

Shemjo 04-07-2009 04:15 PM

Wow!

beachlady 04-07-2009 04:40 PM

Great pattern - you better start!

pocoellie 04-08-2009 05:12 AM

That will be an awesome quilt!!!

littlehud 04-08-2009 07:44 AM

What a great pattern. I LOVE tetris. That is going to be awesome. Make sure and post a picture of the quilt.

Ducky 04-15-2009 12:43 PM

Love the pattern and can't wait to see the finished product. BTW, my last name is Gee :-)

amma 04-15-2009 04:53 PM

I LOVE IT!!!!! Very original!!!!! Can't wait to see the quilt!!!!!