Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Thinking of doing a Farmer's Wife (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/thinking-doing-farmers-wife-t214016.html)

quiltsRfun 02-16-2013 05:56 PM

Thinking of doing a Farmer's Wife

1 Attachment(s)
What's your opinion of these fabrics for a Farmer's Wife quilt? There are 30 fat quarters and I figure I'll need to get some solids to go with the larger prints. It will be a real change from anything I've done. I've never worked with fabrics in the "modern" style. I'll be interested to hear what you think.

trish b 02-16-2013 06:04 PM

I like your colors. Some solids would be wonderful, too. I have the book and it is my goal to make some blocks this year.

janRN 02-16-2013 06:11 PM

I love your fabrics-very pretty. Have you looked closely at the FWS quilt blocks? I made the FWS with the group here on QB. The blocks finish at 6". You would lose a lot of the pretty print in some of your fabrics that appear to have large designs. (Hard to tell the actual size of the motifs on the screen.) Some of the 6" blocks have over 30 pieces in them so they are real tiny pieces.

I hope you do make the FWS. It was definitely out of my comfort zone but I learned so much and feel I'm a much better quilter since making it. Good luck and please post pics of your quilt.

sewmom 02-16-2013 06:46 PM

My DH got me the book for Christmas this year. (What the heck was he thinking?) i hope he's not holding his breath for this quilt. It is so not on my immediate list of quilts to make! Wow!

Anniedeb 02-16-2013 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by sewmom (Post 5866551)
My DH got me the book for Christmas this year. (What the heck was he thinking?) i hope he's not holding his breath for this quilt. It is so not on my immediate list of quilts to make! Wow!

Mine too! He thought it was a book of 111 different quilts! I've gathered my fabric, and made three blocks, but it will be a looooooonngg time before I finish. Working on that comfort level!!

QuiltE 02-16-2013 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by janRN (Post 5866454)
I love your fabrics-very pretty. Have you looked closely at the FWS quilt blocks? I made the FWS with the group here on QB. The blocks finish at 6". You would lose a lot of the pretty print in some of your fabrics that appear to have large designs. (Hard to tell the actual size of the motifs on the screen.) Some of the 6" blocks have over 30 pieces in them so they are real tiny pieces.

I hope you do make the FWS. It was definitely out of my comfort zone but I learned so much and feel I'm a much
better quilter since making it. Good luck and please post pics of your quilt.

I too did the FWS and totally agree with JanRN's comments.
You can do the FWS in most any fabrics you wish ... although, as JanRN has mentioned, many of your larger prints you will lose the lovely patterns.

Take a look around at the different FWS that have been posted here on the QB. JanRNs has a lot of jewel tones and is beautiful. Mine is a totally scrappy quilt using 144 fabrics. Some used one colour schemes. And lots more variations.

Good Luck!! And we'll look forward to seeing yours.

oksewglad 02-16-2013 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 5866788)
I too did the FWS and totally agree with JanRN's comments.
You can do the FWS in most any fabrics you wish ... although, as JanRN has mentioned, many of your larger prints you will lose the lovely patterns.

Take a look around at the different FWS that have been posted here on the QB. JanRNs has a lot of jewel tones and is beautiful. Mine is a totally scrappy quilt using 144 fabrics. Some used one colour schemes. And lots more variations.

Good Luck!! And we'll look forward to seeing yours.

My thoughts exactly:) and we will want to see pictures. Check the weekly threads for this project. Go to the Home page. At the bottom you see User Defined topics. Click on it and scroll through until you reach the
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tags/th...ilt-along.html
We'll be looking for you.

quiltsRfun 02-16-2013 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by janRN (Post 5866454)

I hope you do make the FWS. It was definitely out of my comfort zone but I learned so much and feel I'm a much better quilter since making it. Good luck and please post pics of your quilt.

I don't have the book yet so that's just the kind of information I'm looking for. I may still change my mind but had this bundle of fat quarters and wondered it it would work.

Thanks to everyone for your input. If/when I do this quilt it will definitely be a long-term project.

Babs194068 02-17-2013 05:06 AM

Love the fabric you have selected.

gabeway 02-17-2013 07:26 AM

Looks like a good choice of colors!