Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Upcycling clothing into crafts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/upcycling-clothing-into-crafts-t106170.html)

peggymunday 03-08-2011 07:20 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I've been getting some great bargains on thrift store clothing lately to use as material for quilting and crafts. My latest project was from a tan wool jacket with a satin lining. I washed it in hot water and dried in the dryer to help "full" the fabric. Some call this "felting". To coordinate with this I chose a pair of small wale corduroy pants in a paisley print. I cut the pattern so that I could make use of the front pockets of the pants, shortening them so that items wouldn't get lost in the bottom. The pockets from the jacket were centered on the back and repositioned on the front of the purse. The pattern I used was Butterick #B5109. I also lined it with the satin from the jacket, following pattern and making a double pocket on one side of the purse. I guess I needed some instant gratification from all the pretty fabrics, and a quilt just wasn't going to offer that right now. This was done in just a few hours and will not be the last! Perhaps a few purses along with some quilting things at a future craft show nearby. If I can get enough stock made up... lol I can't seem to hold onto things long enough to have a table full.
Thought you might like to see this with all the talk about fabrics going up...

Pocket looks crooked but it's just the way it's laying
[ATTACH=CONFIG]153985[/ATTACH]

It has a snap closure
[ATTACH=CONFIG]153986[/ATTACH]

skydiver70 03-08-2011 07:25 PM

Wow, how creative can you be? That is very pretty. I would never think to do something like this. I need to be looking around for something like this. But of course, mine wouldn't turn out that well.

Thanks for sharing.

BluegrassGurl 03-08-2011 07:27 PM

wow.... I'm impressed with your creativity to re-purpose. Great job!

kwendt 03-08-2011 07:27 PM

This is awesome. Great ideas. I have some upholstery samples that I could work with, but haven't thought about combining them with felted wool/cords. Here in florida, the wool isn't really a good idea (gets eaten by bugs quickly), but the cords and patterned prints is great. hum.... my thoughts are just a flying on this one! Thanks!

Quilted Horse 03-08-2011 07:30 PM

Awesome! I am a thrift shop junky and am always looking for pretty fabrics to turn into treasures. Can't wait to see your 'table full'!

sueisallaboutquilts 03-08-2011 07:33 PM

That's beautiful!!! I am so inspired by your creativity and re-purposing!
Love that paisley! :D

hperttula123 03-08-2011 07:44 PM

That is wonderful!!!

BETTY62 03-08-2011 07:51 PM

Wow. That is a beautiful purse.

IrelandDragonQuilting 03-08-2011 07:55 PM

LOVE IT! If you need someone to do a uhm... test market trial with it, let me know!

pocoellie 03-08-2011 07:55 PM

Great job!!