Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Update: Am I heading in the.... I DID IT!... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/update-am-i-heading-i-did-t141753.html)

Divokittysmom 07-31-2011 07:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, here goes, I am honestly nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs.... LOL really I am! :?
I wanted to share with you the finished product....my very first quilt . It is for my darling daughter who is expecting baby #2 in October.
Everyone was so helpful in suggesting how to lay out the squares. I was going to do random but found out quickly I am NOT a random type of person!:lol: Thank you for all the suggestions and patience with all my questions.
I wanted to choose a very simple pattern for my first attempt. I have learned alot along the way!!
I know I wouldn't choose flannel again as it wrinkles like crazy no matter how many times I press it. And, it seems a bit stretchier than cotton fabrics.

I did the border on the bias only because it was soooo crooked when I got it on straight of grain that the tiny check pattern was at least 6-7 squares off from top to bottom. I also loved the look of the tiny check on the bias, to give it some pizazz. Bias wasn't the best thing to start with.

The quilting part is what I am unhappy with. I would take more time quilting it and probably wouldn't have used a feather stitch, SID would have been a better choice. I also thought the feather stiching would add more stability to the seams as it is flannel.The clock is ticking away and I have a ton more baby things to make in less than 2 weeks, (baby shower), so I decided to just let this one go.... but wish I could tear out the quilting part and do it over. :(
I used pale blue stitching for the horizontal rows and variegated green for the vertical rows. I finished the border by doing a double stitching around the quilt one in blue, one in green.

I backed it with the pale blue pin dot for the backing. The quilt measures aprox 50x60.

So here it is, my first quilt!

Jim's Gem 07-31-2011 08:00 PM

Beautiful!! You did a great job!! Congratulations on getting your first quilt done!

tammy cosper 07-31-2011 08:01 PM

It looks really great!

Rhonda 07-31-2011 08:02 PM

You did a fabulous job on it! I love it! Wish my first quilt was that good!!

Toto's Mom 07-31-2011 08:11 PM

You did a great job!!! Your daughter will love it!!

JulieR 07-31-2011 08:11 PM

It looks amazing! Fantastic job, you should be proud!

timepasser 07-31-2011 08:12 PM

fabulous job good going

tthuis 07-31-2011 08:20 PM

It's beautiful! You did a great job and just look at all you learned. I've been sewing and quilting for more years than I like to admit and I still learn new things all the time, or do something on a quilt and find out that it isn't really the best choice. I can't think of a better way of learning. What are you going to tackle for your #2 quilt? Keep up the good work.

alikat110 07-31-2011 08:20 PM

Congrats. It's perfect

Pickles 07-31-2011 08:23 PM

Wow you did a Fantastic job for your first quilt, your DD.
is going to be so pleased with her Moms first work and that baby will grow up to treasure it always.Keep up the wonderful work :D :thumbup: