Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   An update on my faux Catherdral window/10 minute block (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/update-my-faux-catherdral-window-10-minute-block-t126857.html)

spartan quilter 05-30-2011 05:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have gotten so many requests on how I did this block, that I decided to repost and try to explain.

The best I can tell you is to look on youtube for 10 minute block. I made this one unique, because my 4 outer [purple] blocks were all the same color. On all the tuts that I have watched, they are usually 2 different colors, positioned in opposite corners, with a third color in the center for contrast. So then using the 10 minute block method, I used the white fabric to come up with the window in the middle.

The trick after that, is before you roll the edges of the white over, you lay a piece of colored fabric over the white, roll the edges, and secure them down. I did that with a decorative stitch on my machine. My 'Uncle Art' [arthritis] tells me not to go there with hand stitching.

If you are interested in the size, my purple blocks and the colored inserts were 4 3/4 square and the white block was 8 square. This resulted in a finished square around 9 square. I played with the size, because I didn't want the bigger block that you are shown on the youtube clips.

Hope that you can understand my note. If not, PM me and I will try to explain better.

Thanks to all for the wonderful comments. Now to hope that the granddaughter will like it as well.

This is the finished quilt top, first time to use batiks, which I love, but had a bad case of sticker shock, price wise. I don't usually pay that much for fabric, but have gotten some good ideas of places to look online.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]204509[/ATTACH]

watson's mom 05-30-2011 05:40 PM

I love this quilt and the tut sounds pretty straight forward. Thanks for sharing.

mommamac 05-30-2011 05:43 PM

thanks - bookmarked :thumbup:

lisainmo 05-30-2011 05:45 PM

thanks for the tutorial..and the quilt is beautiful!

nance-ell 05-30-2011 05:47 PM

Thanks for the explanation. I bookmarked to try later. :-)

btiny36 05-30-2011 06:02 PM

Wow love the quilt...yum yum batiks....Your explaination tut is perfect....great job.... :thumbup:

MDMPanther 05-30-2011 06:23 PM

It's Beautiful!!! Purple IS my fav color, so my heart jumped when I saw this one!!! I LOVE it!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Tweety2911 05-30-2011 06:27 PM

Thanks so much for the tute:-)

quiltlady 05-30-2011 06:37 PM

Thanks for the directions. A good place for Batiks on line is on ebay - check out jordansoforegon store Their Batiks are only 6.95/yd and very reliable.

spartan quilter 05-30-2011 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by quiltlady
Thanks for the directions. A good place for Batiks on line is on ebay - check out jordansoforegon store Their Batiks are only 6.95/yd and very reliable.

Thanks, will check that out.