Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   USAF Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/usaf-quilt-t223551.html)

elaineb100 06-12-2013 05:10 PM

USAF Quilt

7 Attachment(s)
Hi, All, I've been lurking for a long time and have decided to share the third quilt I've ever done. This is for my son's birthday. He is in the Air Force and is currently deployed. This has been a challenge for me for a couple of reasons. First challenge was digitizing the 5 different aircraft that are embroidered on the front. The second challenge was when I was almost finished with the back, I broke my dominate arm and have a full arm cast from knuckles to shoulder. I just got my quilting frame so I had to learn to use it using just one hand. I just finished it today so needless to say I'm a tad bit proud. I’ve learned a lot from this site. :)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]418529[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]418530[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]418531[/ATTACH]

Kay in Mi 06-12-2013 05:34 PM

Nice job! Bet your son will be thrilled. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

madamekelly 06-12-2013 05:46 PM

Beautiful. Your son will be thrilled. I know I would be.

QuiltnNan 06-12-2013 06:04 PM

nicely done

GailG 06-12-2013 06:08 PM

Wow! Sorry to hear about your injury. Hope it heals fast. Must have really been a challenge to learn to use the frame with one arm. Your quilt is gorgeous. My next quilt (after this Irish Chain I am making for my daughter's 50th birthday) will be a quilt for my nephew (also a 50th birthday) who was in the Air Force for 16 years (flew in the Gulf War) and is now a priest. Am trying to tie in both careers (Pilot to Priest). Don't know that I could manage a double sided quilt as you have. I quilt on a domestic machine -- mostly stitching in the ditch or cross-hatching. Your quilt is an inspiration.

BTW: Thanks for sharing. Welcome!!

Tweety2911 06-12-2013 06:34 PM

Thank your son for his service! Sorry about your arm, hugs to you for finishing his beautiful quilt with all the difficulties you had to deal with!

Angel Bear 06-12-2013 06:44 PM

Welcome from OHIO! Your quilt is beautiful and I'm sure your son will treasure it. I can't imagine how you finished it with your arm in a full cast, but I know where there's a will, there's a way. Great job on the planes!

sewbeadit 06-13-2013 01:27 AM

Wonderful quilt, I know he is going to love it. Sorry about your injury, you still did a great job! Welcome to the board too!:)

Queens 06-13-2013 03:01 AM

Hi Eliane,

Hope your arm is much better!!!, but even one handed you did a beautiful job on the AF quilt! Your son will really enjoy it. You said you digitized the airplanes....what type of machine do you have and what type of software did you use? I'm just now ready to buy an embroidery machine and there are so many options out there, but our whole family is into airplanes so I could sew until doomsday and not be done.

Knitette 06-13-2013 03:18 AM

Welcome to the board! Great quilt.