Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Using a cricut machine to cut fabric - pictures! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/using-cricut-machine-cut-fabric-pictures-t136830.html)

Elisabethann 07-11-2011 09:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have read several posts over the last few months here asking if you can cut fabric with the cricut machine. I wondered this too. Went to youtube and watched some videos.

Yesterday I finally bit the bullet and tried it. I had fabric I didn't think I would use for anything else so experiemented. I startched the fabric and then ironed on heat and bond to the back. For the bat and the cat I placed the fabric side onto the cutting mat which left the heat and bond side facing up. For the Fleur de le I placed the heat and bond side onto the mat and had the fabric side facing up. I think they cut the same.

It didn't cut perfectly but pretty good. I will definitely try it out again for a few applique wallhanging ideas I have.

Cricut fabric cuts
[ATTACH=CONFIG]224939[/ATTACH]

carhop 07-11-2011 10:08 AM

They look good to me

quiltingcandy 07-11-2011 10:10 AM

Looks like you will be making an awesome Halloween quilt.

Momo 07-11-2011 10:33 AM

I love it.

owlvamp 07-11-2011 10:38 AM

Cool I have a cricut to but never tried cutting fabric. Will have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

LisaGibbs 07-11-2011 10:43 AM

I used my cricut to cut fabric and did the same thing, bond side down, and found that you have to use a new cutter and not one that has cut a lot of paper when using fabric. It works wonderful for lettering on quilts as well. Now I have a reason to shell out the large dollars on the cartridges since it now has double duty at the house.

Painiacs 07-11-2011 10:43 AM

Cute!

OCQuilts 07-11-2011 01:19 PM

Ive wondered that myself! I loved what that machine can do!

MTS 07-11-2011 04:26 PM

This is very timely. Your motifs looks fabulous.

I've had a pretty complex quilt project in mind for over a year.
I have all the fabric (over 70, and counting) but I've been vacillating and procrastinating on the method I want to use for the flowers.

The Accu dies aren't quite the shape and size that I want even though I know that would be the easiest path to take. Actually, paper piecing stars would be the easiest but I'm now quite set on the flowers, and I have a certain look I want.

So here are a few questions from someone who has NEVER even been in a scrapbook aisle in any store, and has only a vague clue as to how the Cricut even works:

How can I tell the size of the flowers or is it adjustable?
http://www.cricut.com/shop/#0/1/1413...pe%20Cartridge

-Do you have to run it through the machine one at a time, or can you stack them?
-How long does each "run" take?
-Are the dies on this site the only ones it can use, or are there 3rd party ones as well? (I remember reading something about a ProvoCraft(?) co - but it was regarding copyright issues.
-Can you design your own images and cut those?

The reason I'm asking is I'm curious as to the time it would take to cut X of these if I were to pay someone with the machine to do it for me, assuming I bought the cartridge, and had prepared, cut, and had the fusible already fused to the fabric.

Sorry for the very, very basic questions. Thanks.
And sorry for temporarily hijacking your thread.

jaciqltznok 07-11-2011 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
This is very timely. Your motifs looks fabulous.

I've had a pretty complex quilt project in mind for over a year.
I have all the fabric (over 70, and counting) but I've been vacillating and procrastinating on the method I want to use for the flowers.

The Accu dies aren't quite the shape and size that I want even though I know that would be the easiest path to take. Actually, paper piecing stars would be the easiest but I'm now quite set on the flowers, and I have a certain look I want.

So here are a few questions from someone who has NEVER even been in a scrapbook aisle in any store, and has only a vague clue as to how the Cricut even works:

How can I tell the size of the flowers or is it adjustable?
http://www.cricut.com/shop/#0/1/1413...pe%20Cartridge

-Do you have to run it through the machine one at a time, or can you stack them?
-How long does each "run" take?
-Are the dies on this site the only ones it can use, or are there 3rd party ones as well? (I remember reading something about a ProvoCraft(?) co - but it was regarding copyright issues.
-Can you design your own images and cut those?

The reason I'm asking is I'm curious as to the time it would take to cut X of these if I were to pay someone with the machine to do it for me, assuming I bought the cartridge, and had prepared, cut, and had the fusible already fused to the fabric.

Sorry for the very, very basic questions. Thanks.
And sorry for temporarily hijacking your thread.

you might find more info by going to ihaveanotion dot com..
this site does not let me post the link to her blog..she tests ALL die cutting machines and great tutes, FAQ's etc...