Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Vintage Quilt Find (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/vintage-quilt-find-t228999.html)

buslady 08-29-2013 06:33 AM

Vintage Quilt Find

7 Attachment(s)
Went to an estate sale last week. The lady that owned the house was a secretary at the school when I was in school. Her daughter had hired a company to do the sale. There were three or four quilts for sale and I wondered if Geraldine had made them. Thought it would be fun to have a vintage quilt made by someone I knew. They were asking $35 for the quilt. Daughter tells me that her mother did not sew, that it was made by her grandmother, or possibly her great-grandmother. The quilt is in great shape, only one of the fabrics has deteriorated. It needs cleaned, you can see the fold marks where it is darker. I got some of that Vintage Clean product and am going to try to clean it. Thought I would do it in the bathtub and lay it on towels to dry so as not to cause any damage. Anyway, here are some pictures. I am so very happy with this purchase. I am thinking 1930's due to the fabric used. Anyone with help on dating or any other information would be appreciated. I really like anything sewing related/vintage and this is my first quilt. Thanks for looking.

Akes 08-29-2013 06:49 AM

It is beautiful! You wonder how they even had time to work on quilts with all the other work they had to do, and probably without electric. Everything by hand. The workmanship seems to be so perfect. What a great find.

fayeberry 08-29-2013 07:06 AM

That's a lovely quilt and it's great that you will be taking good care of it. So glad you got it!

mighty 08-29-2013 07:20 AM

Awesome, great find!!!!

MaryMo 08-29-2013 07:21 AM

Great find and beautiful quilt! Enjoy loving it!

nena 08-29-2013 07:27 AM

Makes it extra special that you had a connection with the family. Great find.

greensleeves 08-29-2013 07:33 AM

Your quilt is a real treasure and I think you are correct as to the approx date. Too bad about the one fabric that has worn out. When cleaning you might want to temporarily baste a piece of fabric over the areas that are open so the batting doesn't come out. There are many reproduction fabrics of that era if you choose to repair the worn areas but I wouldn't do so if you are only going to display the quilt. Appraisers will point out that repairing with fabrics of a later date than the original quilt changes the dating of the quilt. If you choose to repair you could search for vintage fabrics of that time period-they are available. I have vintage quilts that I display that I have not repaired any of the damaged areas simply because I don't "use" the quilts and like seeing that the quilts were well used when they were made.

Jingle 08-29-2013 07:34 AM

Beautiful, you were lucky to get it.

Diane007 08-29-2013 07:37 AM

it looks like it is in good shape

tessagin 08-29-2013 08:11 AM

If it goes all the way back to her grandmother, then I would say it probably is from the 30s. I couldn't have parted with it. It's beautiful!