Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   walker bag for Veterns (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/walker-bag-veterns-t87975.html)

bluteddi 01-05-2011 06:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a few walker bags, I have been making for the local Veterns in our Nursing home/VA Hospital Nursing Unit.

a few of the completed walker bags
[ATTACH=CONFIG]154291[/ATTACH]

open flat, bags will fold over the top rail of the walker.Giving one large pocket on one side, and two small pockes on the front side.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]154803[/ATTACH]

Cyn 01-05-2011 06:57 PM

That is the sweetest thing!

pab58 01-05-2011 07:01 PM

Those are fantastic!! Is this your own design, or is it from a pattern? :wink:

sewgull 01-05-2011 07:10 PM

Thank you for remembering these wonderful veterans. They are the forgotten ones. We can never give enough to the VETERANS of our country.

moonwork42029 01-05-2011 07:13 PM

Looks maybe like a "tutorial" could be in the making for this item. I wouldn't mind making some to give to our local Vet's home.

My mom had made some using old pairs of jeans somehow ... I wonder if she'd remember...thanks for reminding me of them too.

bluteddi 01-05-2011 07:18 PM

I downloaded a pattern and then modified it to my liking. It is very easy. Basic patter calls for just cut one 24x13 inch retangle and two 13x8inch ( for the pockets). the pattern called for velcro, but that stuff is nasty after a while.So, I opted to use heavy no sew snaps. Because my fabric was lightwt, I decided to quilt the pocket to bulk it up. I also doubled the 24x13 to give it two layers. Added the machine emb to brighten it up.

The patter does call for using " sturdy fabric" such as upholstery, denim or corduroy. But I used what I had. Thats why I opted to semi quilt the pockets.

bluteddi 01-05-2011 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by moonwork42029
Looks maybe like a "tutorial" could be in the making for this item. I wouldn't mind making some to give to our local Vet's home.

My mom had made some using old pairs of jeans somehow ... I wonder if she'd remember...thanks for reminding me of them too.

hmmm I"m not to sure about thsi tutorial ... I tend to ramble and chatter.....I'd be happy to help anyone with the pattern, that is interested. I thought the printout had the web address on it, that I got the basic pattern from, but it didn't, and of course now I can't find that sight.. I'll keep searching tho...

Latrinka 01-05-2011 07:32 PM

Great idea! They will love them, I'm a nurse and work in a nsg home, and they love stuff like this to keep their goodies in!

bluteddi 01-05-2011 07:33 PM

I"m a retired nurse as well, so many bag patterns were so big , I felt they were a danger of tipping over the walker...

beautress 01-05-2011 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by bluteddi
I downloaded a pattern and then modified it to my liking. It is very easy. Basic patter calls for just cut one 24x13 inch retangle and two 13x8inch ( for the pockets). the pattern called for velcro, but that stuff is nasty after a while.So, I opted to use heavy no sew snaps. Because my fabric was lightwt, I decided to quilt the pocket to bulk it up. I also doubled the 24x13 to give it two layers. Added the machine emb to brighten it up.

The patter does call for using " sturdy fabric" such as upholstery, denim or corduroy. But I used what I had. Thats why I opted to semi quilt the pockets.

Thanks, bluteddi. I'm bookmarking this page and am coming back to make one for my MIL who has to use walkers now, and will try to make a couple for my friend whose group sews for the nearest VA Hospital.

You're a super trooper, and thanks for posting your fantastic gift to someone whose spirits will be lifted when they receive it.

(((( ~ HUGE HUG ~ ))))