Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   What color thread should I use? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/what-color-thread-should-i-use-t40404.html)

LovinMySoldier 03-22-2010 10:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I am mostly finished with this top. I can't decide if I want to add a border or not. I am also debating on what color of thread I should use to quilt it all together with. The quilt is a little flamboyant, I know. A lot of the quilt is pink. But I am afraid that pink will be too much. I thought about using just a natural. Then nothing would blend and it would really stand out. Or maybe a brown. But brown also is so blah. Brown might blend the best though and it might tone it down a bit versus adding to it. I also haven't picked out anything for the backing yet. Color suggestions for that as well?

My picture is a bit dark. Everything is brighter. The light ones in the middle are a soft yellow with a lighter shade of the turquoise.

the top. Sorry I should have laid it out better
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24180[/ATTACH]

Here is what some of the fabric looks like
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24181[/ATTACH]

More close-up of the fabric. Sorry I still can't get the yellow to show. The 2nd and 3rd block above the solid pink is the yellow
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24182[/ATTACH]

no1jan 03-23-2010 01:43 AM

I am new to quilting so maybe you want to listen to someone else. That's OK.

But in my quilting class, my teacher recommends a light grey when you have no idea what color to choose. It blends with most colors except pure black.

reneebobby 03-23-2010 01:47 AM

I would go with verigated (sp) thread will blend in really nice.

Lacelady 03-23-2010 01:50 AM

What about a light burgundy? And for a border, if you want to tone down the pink, pick out one of the turqoises.

Quilt4u 03-23-2010 01:54 AM

I too would go with a variegated. I have one that would go with your quilt But I'm useing it right now for my quilt. The quilting is coming out beautiful.

Elisabrat 03-23-2010 02:14 AM

You could always use clear thread. I would go with the chocolate color for athe backing, border myself but hey a flamboyant quilt is cool too. Color can lift your spirits on a dreary day and I think its a pretty cool quilt. Now you have so show us the finished product.. curiosty on what you end up doing will get us all!!

shaverg 03-23-2010 04:49 AM

I would use a Med-Dk Pink. But I have never been too crazy about the look of varigated thread on a quilt, but that is just me. What was your first thought when you looked at it, I would say go with that.

paintedquilt 03-23-2010 04:54 AM

Very, very nice :!:

Candace 03-23-2010 06:12 AM

I would do a Stipple or FMQ stitch with a pink and blue matching, variegated thread. If you can find it. It's a bold quilt, you don't want to wimp out with the thread choice;>

cuppi duke 03-23-2010 06:22 AM

I would go with a pink or burgundy. A flambouyant quilt needs flambouyant quilting. I love it.