Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   What I Did on Monday (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/what-i-did-monday-t82026.html)

Sunflower Girl 12-23-2010 07:49 AM

I always love seeing the joy in so many faces!

shopbelt 12-23-2010 08:07 AM

Well isn't this what Christmas gifting is all about! Wonderfu, thank you for sharing.

Maggie_Sue 12-23-2010 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by shopbelt
Well isn't this what Christmas gifting is all about! Wonderfu, thank you for sharing.

Well said!

QuiltswithConvicts 12-23-2010 06:00 PM

Omak, When we lived in New Hampshire, our quilt guild made quilts for Dartmouth's Mary Hitchcock Hospital's equivilent of a Ronald McDonald House - David's House named after a child who needed long term care up there (in Lebanon, NH) & started by his parents. Anyway, we gave many, many quilts to them. That guild is still active and one of the most recent issues of Quilter's Newsletter Magazine showed a lovely quilt made by Nancy Bell and another lady from the guild, Hannah Dustin, that was raffled off to benefit David's house. We were often recipients of letters from the children's families after they had either left David's House for home, or passed away. So many of them would mention that the child had been buried with their quilt!!!! That really gets to you, big time!

omak 12-28-2010 05:21 PM

One time, a friend's niece had a baby that died shortly after birth. I quickly crocheted a blanket and cap for the baby. People thought I was being macabre, but it made it so much easier, I think, for the parents to be comforted, not having to go through all the purchases they had made for life - - to have something created especially for the "baby sleeping" (there are online organizations that make them their ministry).
We never know where our creations provide comfort, but it changes our outlook on life and living to help in some stage of passage. <wave>

QuiltswithConvicts 12-28-2010 06:01 PM

Omak, You truly are a kind soul! I can't imagine what grief is like when you've lost a baby. I know there was solace in what you did for them.

Bless you.

Kathy

blossum 12-28-2010 06:52 PM

I took my Daisy Scout to a convelent/ rehab center in town and we went up and down the hall and sang Christmas Carols. The people were very happy and the kids had a great time mybe next year we can had out small gifts. i would have to be something easy and quick seeing that they are only 6years old.

omak 12-28-2010 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by blossum
I took my Daisy Scout to a convelent/ rehab center in town and we went up and down the hall and sang Christmas Carols. The people were very happy and the kids had a great time mybe next year we can had out small gifts. i would have to be something easy and quick seeing that they are only 6years old.

How about yo-yo coursages and boutenneires? or even, some dandy felt ornaments that the girls have done a simple buttonhole stitch around, decorated with beads - - something like that ...
and! The coup de la resistance - - pictures that they have drawn and colored ... <wave>

ICU_FOSTERMOM 01-29-2012 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts (Post 2103540)
Omak, When we lived in New Hampshire, our quilt guild made quilts for Dartmouth's Mary Hitchcock Hospital's equivilent of a Ronald McDonald House - David's House named after a child who needed long term care up there (in Lebanon, NH) & started by his parents. Anyway, we gave many, many quilts to them. That guild is still active and one of the most recent issues of Quilter's Newsletter Magazine showed a lovely quilt made by Nancy Bell and another lady from the guild, Hannah Dustin, that was raffled off to benefit David's house. We were often recipients of letters from the children's families after they had either left David's House for home, or passed away. So many of them would mention that the child had been buried with their quilt!!!! That really gets to you, big time!

HI Kathy,

I hope that you are well. I loved reading this post and seeing the pictures. Nice work,Lady.
Do You ever get any pictures of the convicts actually doing the quilting ? I know that there might be privacy issues but someone must not mind having their picture taken. I have been slowly learning my way around this new format .
I am glad that I found You. I know that a number of quilters have left for another quilt board.
Well ...Take.........Alice

Peggy Jeanne 01-29-2012 07:44 PM

Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!