Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   What I've been doing since I haven't been here much... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/what-ive-been-doing-since-i-havent-been-here-much-t99618.html)

PJisChaos 02-13-2011 08:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
These are the latest things I have "turned out" in the last month or so. The first pic is the sandwich I started with that turned into the bag shown in the 2nd pic. DD loves it and uses it daily for school and sleepovers. It was tons of fun to make and fairly easy too. Yay! LoL.

"Why Not" is one I just threw together after hitting the clearance aisle at a local Wal-Mart, each fabric was a 2-yd bolt I picked up for $3 each! I fell in love with the patterned strip in the middle of each set and worked from that. The brown just really set it off nicely. I titled it "Why Not" since that was the answer I gave every time one of the kids or DH would ask "Why ya making that one?" They all rather disliked it until I added the red squares to it. It is backed in flannel and no batting, super warm but light as air! I love it when a plan comes together... :lol:

First attempt at FMQ which turned into ...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]133490[/ATTACH]

This, a new school bag for my daughter.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]133491[/ATTACH]

"Why Not" is roughly 63" square
[ATTACH=CONFIG]133492[/ATTACH]

craftybear 02-13-2011 08:33 PM

thanks for sharing, great job

Murphy 02-13-2011 08:33 PM

So cute. Nice job.

PJisChaos 02-13-2011 08:49 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I also have noticed, while trying to catch up on all the great posts I missed, that ya'll have such great labels for your quilts. This is the label I made for "Why Not" and it is holding up beautifully after a few washings already. I used to use the Micron(sp??) pens from the art store to write on the backs of quilts but they seem to wash out rather quickly...? I even tried to set the ink by ironing over it with a super hot iron but it still fades terribly. So, this new way, for me anyways, is a nice alternative.
I also found a solution for DH that refuses to use quilts I make him. As some of you are aware, I had asked for help on this little "issue" we were having and I received a ton of great solutions and even a few chuckles. Thanks again all! I finished up a top I made a while ago that I was just not happy with as the instructions were a bit vague on how to square up certain parts of the blocks. So, to me it looked like crap but, he loved the colors and swore he would use it if I finished it. I did and even added prairie points, a first for me, and a label I made back in december for another quilt I was gonna make him. So, he uses this one, loves it and I am happy that he is so happy.

Lastly, I am now onto pinwheels I learned how to do from this very board! The "...sew around all four sides and cut twice on diagonal" ones, they are whipping up so fast and I am working 2 sizes for next quilt. I am starting with a layer cake and a charm pack so, 10" and 5" squares to start with. These are also wal-mart clearance finds and I am excited to see what happens with these.

back and label
[ATTACH=CONFIG]133682[/ATTACH]

back and label
[ATTACH=CONFIG]133683[/ATTACH]

Garden Maze block from the quilters cache
[ATTACH=CONFIG]133684[/ATTACH]

new WIP, love the fabs in these!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]134083[/ATTACH]

PJisChaos 02-13-2011 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
thanks for sharing, great job

Thanks so much, I must say though.... I just love your blogs!! So full of info and really cool stuff. :thumbup:

sewwhat85 02-13-2011 08:53 PM

great job you have been busy

Becca Bear 02-13-2011 08:59 PM

Nice!

Quilted Dogs 02-13-2011 09:20 PM

Nice job......

Gee, u just gave me an idea, your pinwheels......I made a quilt for my new grand daughter last year with layer cakes and made my own pattern from a pattern, made diamonds. Cut the squares like u did and all. Gee, did not think of turning to make pinwheels....thanks. I love pinwheels and have not tried them yet, new to this. I have to make my other grand daughter a quilt and I will do this. I bought the pattern from my sisters or 3 sisters, etc., can look it up if u like.....I think off hand and it used layer cakes. This pattern goes together so fast. So thanks for posting pics!!!! U never know what will come to mind when reading others posts. So now u can try this too, just turn the squares and make a diamond with them.....have u tried that or thought of it? Again, thanks.......

Shar - Quilted Dogs

PJisChaos 02-14-2011 12:18 AM

@ Shar...
Wow, no kidding about making ya think,... now ya got me thinking! LoL, and I believe I now need more layer cakes to try that next time. This board is so great, I have a whole notebook of ideas and most of them are from just surfing this place. Now if I could just live to be.. oh I'd say round bout 200yrs old or something, I just might be able to make 'em all! :-D

Quilted Dogs 02-14-2011 04:25 PM

Yes, this is so nice to b able to share with all and our ideas. I love the pinwheels and never saw them in doing my quilt at all.....that is what is so funny. I turned and turned the squares until I got what I wanted.....wish I knew how to put the pic on here to show u the diamonds but I do not know how....but if u PM me and send your email I can send it to u....