Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   What not to do next time! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/what-not-do-next-time-t223281.html)

Friday1961 06-08-2013 02:06 PM

What not to do next time!

2 Attachment(s)
I spent several hours quilting this quilt on my DSM, even though it is a lesson in what not to do. This was my second quilt, not counting a small flannel rag quilt, so I made it awhile ago (as I've said I'm finishing all the tops I've made before letting myself piece news ones). I'm not sure how I got so many things wrong on this quilt....or worse, why I left it that way. The mistakes don't show at a glance and it was only when I was quilting it -- and past the point of no return -- that I noticed that the sashing does not always line up, and some of the orange pieces are not the same size. That has to be a seaming problem but also, I can only assume that I didn't square up my blocks before putting them together. And how I got the sashing so out of line and left it that way, I have no idea. I think we sometimes develop blind spots when working on something and just can't see our goofs. At least that's what I'm telling myself about this one.

To make matters worse I got the back on crooked. I tried a new method of sandwiching and thought I had the top and back lined up but, guess what? I didn't! Didn't know that either until the thing was halfway quilted and I just was not going to rip out and start over, especially since by that time I'd realized the top was kind of a mess, too. Next time, though, I'm going to worry less about that 2 or 3 inches of batting and back extending beyond the top and more about making sure the top and back absolutely line up.

I loved the fabrics in this quilt, too, while I was making it, so needless to say I'm disappointed. But I'll keep it around to remind me to be more observant and more careful when putting a quilt together, both top and sandwich.

I'm posting these photos anyway because my errors may help someone else. I'm not that proud. I have other things I've done well so this "failure" won't ruin my life or keep me from making others.

Thanks for looking.....and being kind! :rolleyes:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]417921[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]417920[/ATTACH]

dunster 06-08-2013 02:09 PM

Well I looked, but I don't see the problems you see. I love those fabrics too, and your quilting is lovely. Just be happy that you finished and don't stress the small stuff.

barny 06-08-2013 02:10 PM

Well, hey! I don't see a thing wrong. Maybe I'd better take another look at my stuff. LOL. I really like your quilt. It looks just fine to me.

cathyvv 06-08-2013 02:16 PM

It's a beautiful quilt. The imperfections are not as noticeable as you think. Enjoy the quilt as is and stop fretting about mistakes. Anytime you make a mistake and learn from it, you have been successful.

If I didn't believe that, I'd never be able to even try to do anything!

grannie cheechee 06-08-2013 02:17 PM

Where are you looking? I don't see anything wrong!!!! I like the quilt.

mom-6 06-08-2013 02:22 PM

Looks like you managed to hide any imperfections quite nicely!

ruthrings 06-08-2013 02:26 PM

Boy! I had to look twice to see what you were referring to, and then wasn't sure. And when I looked again, I couldn't find it again. Relax and enjoy!! It's beautiful!

Baloonatic 06-08-2013 02:37 PM

I think it's so pretty, and cannot see any of those 'errors' you thought were there!

Tartan 06-08-2013 02:40 PM

It looks pretty good to me! So the back didn't lined up perfectly, put it on the bed and no one will even know.

DebraK 06-08-2013 02:50 PM

that's how we learn ;-) looks great.