Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   What pattern would you use? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/what-pattern-would-you-use-t71640.html)

Dollysquiltingmom 10-22-2010 10:08 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I have these fabric collections by exclusively quilters and I am not sure the pattern to use or what fabrics to add. I have seen your quilts and they are great. The color and prints that you use I would never have thought to use. I have a color wheel and a ruby red value finder, but to me they are like a dog chasing a car if he caught it he could not drive it. If there is a video on color please let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Jackie

wolfkitty 10-22-2010 10:10 AM

Your color choices are excellent! I think your groupings all work well together! Now all you need is to decide on patterns! You might want some solid colors out of the colors in the prints to go along in between your prints.

Barbm 10-22-2010 10:11 AM

well- I love pansies so you can eliminate the challenge by sending me group # 2.

I can see group #2 as a garden twist quilt.

stitchinbee 10-22-2010 10:15 AM

i call dibs on the first purple group. lol :) gorgeous. maybe a log cabin?

Qbee 10-22-2010 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by stitchinbee
i call dibs on the first purple group. lol :) gorgeous. maybe a log cabin?

I was thinking the first thing. Just get one more "light" fabric and you could use the green as the center square of each block....that might be real pretty :D
BEAUTIFUL fabrics!!

RedGarnet222 10-22-2010 10:38 AM

Ahh now this is the whole thing about quilt making. This all just takes time. What were you thinking when you bought them? Did you have a quilt in mind? The fabrics usually have a web site to give you ideas on how to set them together nicely.

Here is what you need to know no matter what blocks or fabrics you decide to use. You should use a large, medium and a small, soild or blender. Then your blocks will have scale and interest. Then you need to concider the value or deepness of the colors. Pick say the pansy for the main fabric and pull out two or three that will compliment that for your blocks.
Pick a simple block at first to see how these interact.
Maybe a sampler quilt would be good for you to learn how these all will change with each block. The other way is to take small snippets and paste a small mock up block onto paper. That EQ7 program does much the same thing, which is what many of the girls here use to design with.

Failing all that ... Find a quilt that you like that has simular fabrics and make that one.

np3 10-22-2010 01:50 PM

If you don't find a pattern for the third group, I'll take that one! Great job on blending fabrics.

Dollysquiltingmom 10-22-2010 01:57 PM

THANK YOU REDGRANET 222. Am doing snoopy dance will go by EQ7, hubby is computer geek and can show me how to use it. I won't have to bother everybody. HAVE A GREAT DAY.
Again THANK YOU so much.

SueDor 10-22-2010 02:41 PM

Pretty fabric!

craftybear 10-22-2010 03:10 PM

Hi,

you are not bothering us, we enjoy helping others out

Originally Posted by Dollysquiltingmom
THANK YOU REDGRANET 222. Am doing snoopy dance will go by EQ7, hubby is computer geek and can show me how to use it. I won't have to bother everybody. HAVE A GREAT DAY.
Again THANK YOU so much.