Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   What in the world to do (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/what-world-do-t100729.html)

Kehoeta 02-17-2011 07:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My step-daughter gave me this "quilt" to fix for her. Some of the seams are frayed, the batting is all bunched up, It was a tied quilt - but many of the strings have worn and broken. And, I think the whole thing is pretty ghastly.

How would you "fix" it?

one of the blocks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]161937[/ATTACH]

the backing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]161938[/ATTACH]

raedar63 02-17-2011 07:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I just fixed one much worse because one of my sons insisted, said" that quilt has been around as long as I have been alive, you can't just throw it out" lol.I just hand sewed it the best I could and am now retying it, as you can see it has been well used the last 20 some years and I think after the repair it will last a few more years.

Texasjunebug 02-17-2011 07:39 PM

Maybe that was her sweet way of suggesting she needed a new quilt and that maybe you might offer to make it for her!

jackied 02-17-2011 07:39 PM

I've never repaired an older quilt but it takes a lot of work. I've seen in quilt magazines on how to repair some blocks but it sounds like you are talking about a complete makeover. Maybe some of the more experienced ladies in this department can give you advice. This looks like a very old quilt. Maybe she should just put it up and keep it.

DA Mayer 02-17-2011 07:42 PM

I pieced fabric in, tried to straighten the batting and I used a stitch like a blanket stitch and went around the squares or in your case I would go around the baskets. The biggest help was to put on a new binding. I still have one to repair and it seems to be really old, I am still trying to match fabric.

mmonohon 02-17-2011 07:43 PM

I had to fix one for my sister that a favorite Aunt had made in the 70's. None of the seams matched and it was made with random scraps (most poly) and with no overall pattern. I had to take it completely apart, mend all over, replace or repair patches (on both sides), square it the best I could, add batting and quilt. It took me months and drove me crazy. If my sister wasn't so sentimental, I would never done it. But I will never do anything like that again.

smitty 02-17-2011 07:44 PM

I agree, it would not win a beauty prize. but, you could cut all the ties, pull out string. open one end & take out all the batting. then re-sew the end. re-tie with embroidery thread. use it without batting & call it a summer quilt.

Kehoeta 02-17-2011 07:50 PM

I have taken the rest of the broken strings out. And can pull the ratty batting out. But should I try and do something about the ucky colors? - Maybe pull out the blocks and try and find come kind of matching fabric - something vintage? Or just do the best to fix it with the material that is there?

Kehoeta 02-17-2011 07:50 PM

Well loved is right. But at least yours has some semblance of nice colors and well done blocks.

pocoellie 02-17-2011 08:00 PM

Show your step daughter how to fix it, maybe she'll get the bug. I hate repairs and alterations.