Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   what would you do to add length? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/what-would-you-do-add-length-t91326.html)

IngeMK 01-17-2011 08:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
this is 36 " square. I would like to add borders around the whole thing but add length also

tutty 01-17-2011 08:27 AM

Really like your design .

dunster 01-17-2011 08:29 AM

How big do you want it to be?

MamaBear61 01-17-2011 08:30 AM

Could you add a row of blocks top and bottom that are half the size of your current ones so that there would be six of the smaller blocks across on both ends and then add a border around the entire quilt? Just an idea. It looks great so far.

ktbb 01-17-2011 08:30 AM

I've done this a few times. Choose my border fabric (at least the inner border if you're doing more than one) and cut a strip of that fabric to put on the top and bottom only...then make up another strip of blocks to add to that (again on top and bottom only) then put the border around everything. For yours, you could do smaller versions of the stars that you've done in the middle, or so some other simple design...just straight strips of the colors used in the center would also work.

Another option is to simply put the border on but make sure the top and bottom strips are wider than the side strips. I've done that as well - don't like it as much as the first idea, but it will work.

raptureready 01-17-2011 08:31 AM

I think I'd add either another row of the gray background stars to each end or a strip of one of the colors to each end to add length. You could also sew strips of the four focal colors together then cut on the diagonal to make a ///// strip on one end and a \\\\\ strip on the other before adding your borders. After cutting your strips and then cutting the length to whatever you want, 3,4, or 5" just move down the width of your strip each time you sew one on then all you have to cut off will be the jagged triangular edge.

IngeMK 01-17-2011 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
How big do you want it to be?

Not really sure, lol. I think it's going to be a donation. I just wanted to see what I could do by adding rows or a neat border. Want to use up the fqs

irishrose 01-17-2011 08:46 AM

Those look like 12" blocks. I'd make two rows of 6" blocks - one for the top and one for the bottom, them add your sashing strips. 2 1/2" squares will finish at a 6" block, I think.

amma 01-17-2011 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by MamaBear61
Could you add a row of blocks top and bottom that are half the size of your current ones so that there would be six of the smaller blocks across on both ends and then add a border around the entire quilt? Just an idea. It looks great so far.

I like this idea... add a plain row first and then another row of smaller stars :D:D:D

paintedquilt 01-17-2011 11:07 AM

Make the top and botton border(s) wider than the side borders
(i.e. 6" for the top and botton 3" for the sides)
Very nice so far :-P