Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Whoo Hoo - Bailey 15 is set up! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/whoo-hoo-bailey-15-set-up-t10873.html)

Janeen 09-04-2008 10:12 AM

Speaking of jerry-rigging..... there's no instructions in the Grace book or the Bailey info ANYWHERE about using pantograms....
so...... there is a row of holes on the table about halfway across but no mention of what they are for - so being the enterprising folks we are... :lol:
we got 3 wallyworld yardsticks (50 cents each) - cut 9 inches off one of them, marked where the holes on the table are onto the yardsticks, drilled holes in the yardsticks, put clear vinyl down, put the yardsticks on, stuck bolts through the holes and fastened it down - now the yardsticks are holding the vinyl and we have a place for pantograms....
I'm sure there's a $$kit$$ available that does essentially the same thing :D

as for the batting - right now I'm using a roll of 48" batting that's easy to maneuver - and it's just sitting on the floor... I'm still deciding about whether I want to put anything across the front to hold batting...

make sure you leave room to walk around at least one end of the frame - you'll be moving back to front to back a lot...

oh yeah, I got some 'industrial' strength velcro and put on the foot pedal and fastened it at the back of the machine and you can run it by thumb (the Bailey handles are set up and can be moved front or back but for a quick something it's nice to have the 'pedal' where it can be reached - plus it has to "be somewhere". The frame has some elaborate stuff for using the footpedal on top of the frame .... we bypassed that, and there's a thing for the cone thread - we don't need that because the Bailey has a thread place for cones.

The light you see is just a clamp on light from wallyworld and we used a spiral 40 watt bulb so it doesn't get hot - lesson learned right here on this board about being careful around light bulbs! :!:

There are screw holes in the Bailey frame platform but no mention if that's to fasten it someplace or what. There's also a place for the "laser light" (from the dollar tree it looks like - but it works) - that was too short for the frame so we moved it back by buying a different bolt and wingnut...

auntluc 09-04-2008 10:32 AM

I'm following this thread every day to see what progress you have made. Since there are so few instructions with the system, how did you learn to load the frame with the top and backing....was it hard to figure out?
You mentioned a foot pedal....you mean like on a regular machine? I thought the handles had switches to push to run the machine. How much vibration if any have you noticed with the frame?
You could do a you tube video for us...might not have to answer so many questions that way. :wink:

Janeen 09-04-2008 10:45 AM

1. one set of handles comes with the Bailey - it just pulls off a piece of pvc pipe and can stick on the needle end or motor end... this handle has an on/off button, a button that works like a foot pedal (the harder you press the faster it goes), and a speed dial - which works in conjuntion with the on/off button.
And yes, there is a regular foot pedal - it is a regular machine that has been 'stretched' - Mr. Bailey has a machine shop that makes the parts he needs and then he 'builds the 13 or 15 inch machines from a basic machine.

2. I researched! :!: :shock:
I've seen longarm machine setups, I've seen the new joy frame setup with a 9" machine, and I watched videos at you tube...Penny somebody - her name escapes me right now - just type longarm quilting in the search place. Do not attempt to watch those videos on dial-up connection. I've gone to longarm sites and watched their videos. I printed out all kinds of information from here, there and everywhere.

3. You DO have to have a basic knowledge of sewing machines - I've managed to break the thread and get a 'nest' a few times already and had to take the bobbin race apart to get it undone :evil: ... not hard - just irritating LOL

4. I'M VERY happy with the stitch quality - no "ladders"....

This is just one of those things that you have to pay attention to what you are doing - at least I do right now at the beginning of the learning curve - I'm sure (hoping) it will get easier and quicker with time.

Nothing has been difficult or hard or impossible or irritating etc...

zyxquilts 09-04-2008 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Bevanger
My hubby would never do that.. Butt head lol

Oh Bev! You crack me up!!
Congrats on the Bailey Janeen! Looks like you're just about race ready - I'm looking forward to seeing your results! And I think it's wonderful that you will be donating to your local nursing home too. :thumbup:

kacie 09-04-2008 10:55 AM

The best place for answers about the Grace frames and what you need for them is http://www.kathyquilts.com
I didn't buy the frame from them, but that doesn't seem to matter to them. I would have if I'd known about them -- better customer service than my local guy.

If you send an e-mail to [email protected] he will tell you anything you need to know or find out the answer for you. Any time I've had a question about accessories, instructions, add-ons, or simply information about something I want to do, he will e-mail or phone right back. I'm surprised at what you did NOT get with your frame -- mine came with stuff I'll never use, but Lynn also sent me some easy-to-follow instructions for loading the layers. I recommend you try him.

mamatobugboo 09-04-2008 11:16 AM

Thanks for the info Kacie

I am going to start working on setting up the grace frame I have still in the boxes and am glad to know there is a reliable place to go to if I have questions! Thanks again!

auntluc 09-04-2008 11:42 AM

Have lots of fun and enjoy your new toy Janeen....you lucky woman!
You too Mamatobugboo.

CissyQuilts 09-04-2008 01:10 PM

It looks great! Have fun with your new toy!

kathy 09-05-2008 06:05 AM

thanks for that link kacie, that looks like a very good site.

jacquemoe 09-05-2008 12:14 PM

Isn't that just the coolest thing?!!! DH seems to be enjoying himself. I'm excited for you. This is an addiction toooooooooo, ya know. LOL