Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Will the Real 15 clone please stand up (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/will-real-15-clone-please-stand-up-t164361.html)

miriam 09-09-2012 02:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]361537[/ATTACH]
I picked up another clone the other day. It was advertised 'motor turns but machine doesn't' - well I figured the clutch was disengaged... I opened up the case - this was so not rocket science... there was no belt on the motor. So I checked the clutch, put on a belt, plugged it in. WHEE the motor turns all right. This machine had a Kenmore motor, wires and foot control. I pulled them off for future examination. Then I cleaned and oiled the machine. This one has Ricar stamped on the under side. The machine's name is Challenge... LOL... smirk...

JudyTheSewer 09-09-2012 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 4987895)
I think getting around the tension and getting the needle in right and threaded the right direction can be a learning curve - some people aren't as mechanistically inclined as some. Some people have used machines that thread front to back and it can be a learning curve to get a clone strung up right. Someone on QB also posted that you put the needle in the same way the throat plate is shaped - not true. The video covers stuff like that. I wold have loved to have had something like that when I had 7 girls taking 4-H and none had ever seen a sewing machine. If you don't own a manual, Muv's video about covers it.

You're not kidding - getting the needle in correctly is a challenge. I finally made a spreadsheet that I keep handy in my sewing room with basic information on my machines so that I am not digging in the manuals each time I use one of the machines. I have about 13 machines that I use and the needles can sit three different ways and thus they needed threaded three different ways. The vertical bobbin fits in some cases with thread clockwise and others in counter-clockwise. Same with the horizontal bobbin; some go in clockwise and others go in counter-clockwise. Finally, the flywheels on all of my electrics and most of the treadles are turned counter-clockwise; the WW9 is turned clockwise! I was going nuts with all of the differences and I was wearing out all of the manuals - LOL.

cabbagepatchkid 09-11-2012 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer (Post 5503327)
You're not kidding - getting the needle in correctly is a challenge. I finally made a spreadsheet that I keep handy in my sewing room with basic information on my machines so that I am not digging in the manuals each time I use one of the machines. I have about 13 machines that I use and the needles can sit three different ways and thus they needed threaded three different ways. The vertical bobbin fits in some cases with thread clockwise and others in counter-clockwise. Same with the horizontal bobbin; some go in clockwise and others go in counter-clockwise. Finally, the flywheels on all of my electrics and most of the treadles are turned counter-clockwise; the WW9 is turned clockwise! I was going nuts with all of the differences and I was wearing out all of the manuals - LOL.

This is what I have been thinking of doing. I wasn't sure if I should use a small notebook with divided sections for each machine or use a recipe box and use index cards for each machine. I don't know how to do a spreadsheet ;) so it's the 'old fashioned' way for me!

Caroline S 09-12-2012 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid (Post 5507281)
This is what I have been thinking of doing. I wasn't sure if I should use a small notebook with divided sections for each machine or use a recipe box and use index cards for each machine. I don't know how to do a spreadsheet ;) so it's the 'old fashioned' way for me!

I am going to do a spreadsheet as Judy described and put it in a plastic sheet protector. One thing I would add would be the needle size.

miriam 09-12-2012 02:31 PM

You don't need a spread sheet. Singer 301 and FW needles insert flat on the left and thread right to left all else go the other way for slide plates going side ways. If it is a front loader the needle goes flat on the part to the back most of the time this will work. However there are exceptions, look at the shuttle race the bobbin goes in. The curve of the needle goes next to the hook - true on ALL machines. You can get some clue by looking at the thread guides. It is frustrating when you get it wrong - ask me how I know...

Janis 09-13-2012 09:28 PM

Yes Miriam, my mother was a home-ec teacher and she told me to look at the last thread guide next to the needle and that showed the way it was threaded.

Surfergirl 09-15-2012 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Janis (Post 5513006)
Yes Miriam, my mother was a home-ec teacher and she told me to look at the last thread guide next to the needle and that showed the way it was threaded.

This is the method I use to insert the needle.

pinkCastleDH 10-05-2012 07:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
So, does a 115 qualify as a 15 clone :) No pictures of our 15s yet but here's the 115:

miriam 10-05-2012 07:14 AM

sure looks like one doesn't it? Can you tell us the difference?

pinkCastleDH 10-05-2012 07:18 AM

Miriam, the 115 is a rotary hook. As far as I know that's the only difference (well, the 115 doesn't seem to have lasted in production as long and it's not as common - we just got lucky.)