Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Yellow Brick Road border (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/yellow-brick-road-border-t122285.html)

teri295 05-11-2011 05:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I was going through my stash and pulled a bunch of brights for this lap quilt. Now I am wondering what to do around the border? (6 1/2 inch all around) I was thinking a purple print on print (to calm?) - Any other ideas from you experienced or inexperienced quilters?

emsgranny 05-11-2011 05:37 AM

I am by no means an experienced quilter but I wouldnt "calm" it down. :lol: It is what it is!! I would probably use the bright green border, the yellow or orange with all the colors in it or use scraps of all of them to make the border!! Great job by the way :thumbup: cheryl

QuiltE 05-11-2011 05:41 AM

I can see it framed up with that darker purple, if by chance you have it. Or at the least, a narrow border of it before you continue on.

Black would be a nice frame on it, though I think 6-1/2" as you mentioned would be too wide.

teri295 05-11-2011 05:44 AM

My husband suggested black, but there is NO black in any of the fabrics - there is brown however. The pattern says 6 1/2 inch border, but I could make it smaller. I don't have enough of any of the top fabrics to do a border, unless a mixture of all of the six fabrics in perhaps a 2 inch border...but I was thinking something solid would calm it?

quiltingaz 05-11-2011 05:50 AM

I would not do a single border. I would start with a narrow border that is bright to make it pop, then add a wider border in a coordinating fabric. Could even do 3 borders, maybe first at 1" then 1/2" bright border, then wider border.

Teapots and Quilts 05-11-2011 05:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
First of all...what gorgeous colors you've picked for this quilt. I just love all the fabrics! My first full size quilt was a YBR which I did in much more subdued colors...pinks, greens and browns for my Mom's 81st birthday. I, also, had issues deciding on the border(s). I ended up doing two narrow borders of brown and pink and the largest outer border in the green. The brown really helped frame the quilt since I had less brown in the blocks. I think your idea of the purple makes sense, but use it as the first border to really frame your blocks and then pull a couple of the other colors out for the outer borders...maybe the lime green and orange.

QuiltE 05-11-2011 06:11 AM

Black first ... about 2 or 3"

Then use all your leftovers, join randomly together in 1-1/2" to 2" squares (all the same size)

Black again about 3 or 4"

I'm just giving you some approx sizes ... you need to audition this with your quilt and find the sizes that work.

The first black will frame it up.
The multi colour narrower border will pull some of the colour to the outside, and not detract from the work of the main part.
The final black just frames it all up more!

debcavan 05-11-2011 06:28 AM

Audition fabrics. Fold the fabric to the width of the border and put it next to it. Put a different one on each side and see which ones makes it pop.

I love your brights. Try the red, see what it does

GrannieAnnie 05-11-2011 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by teri295
I was going through my stash and pulled a bunch of brights for this lap quilt. Now I am wondering what to do around the border? (6 1/2 inch all around) I was thinking a purple print on print (to calm?) - Any other ideas from you experienced or inexperienced quilters?

Love the bright colors.

I've got a bright batik turning 20 small quilt that I've not found a border for, either. I'm leaning toward a black batik of some sort.

gollytwo 05-11-2011 06:46 AM

I would do a 1" border of a dark solid, purple would be nice, to frame the quilt and then a 2nd border using the fabrics from the quilt body