Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Putting borders on without getting on the floor

I had the quilt that I am getting ready for the frame draped over it and thought that I needed to move it to the floor to measure the borders. Then I thought... do it right where it is.

I made sure it was nice and straight across the center bar, smoothed it all out, and layed the first border strip across it. I pinned on one end (after squaring up that side of the border), smoothed it across, pinned it and made a tiny snip with the scissors. I stuck a pin in by the snip so I could find it when I moved it to the sewing room to cut it square. I then used that strip to cut the other one.

This picture is doing the other two sides after sewing on the first two. Really nice to just bring up the edge of the quilt and stand or sit to pin the borders on while the whole quilt can be layed out straight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails attachment-27145.jpe   attachment-27151.jpe   attachment-27460.jpe  

Doh!

Now that you've mentioned it, it seems so obvious, how could we not think of it before! lol

Thank you, I'm going to use that technique too... no more crawling around on the floor and no more having to vacuum all the dog hair up before laying a quilt down.

Why have I never thought of using the frame? Thanks! That will be handy for measuring backing fabrics as well.

Yep, I thought of doing that for the backing too. Should be a WHOLE lot easier than trying to do it on the floor. Just drape the backing on the frame first and put the top over it to size it.

About the vacuuming... that was part of the inspiration of using the frame. If I was going to lay it on the floor I needed to vacuum first. I didn't want to do that right then but I wanted to get the border done.

I LOVE your log cabin and your border is a great choice.
    That is the way I do my borders. I was always getting different measurements when I tried measuring on the floor!
    I must tell you again, I LOVE your log cabin.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Great idea Pam - only trouble is i don't have a frame! (boo hoo!) Guess i'll just have to come over to your house to put my borders on! LOL

K x

getting in line, right behind K, cause with rain, couldn't work on front porch, so have had a piece of wall board (4 x 8), on dining room table, for past 3 days, but can't walk around it. I can't get on floor, but don't have that much room anyway. So, I have been rolling, and rolling, quilt up, to move, move, move. Exhausting, so I leave pc online, now, cell is on, and go back and forth...back and forth! :D

Blog Entries
    Great Idea :D :D :D Beautiful Quilt :D :D :D

The board sounds good for several different uses and I plan on making one soon. I believe I have a 4' square piece of MDF board left over from when I had to buy a 8' x 4' piece to make a headboard.

I can put a thin layer of batting on it, maybe a couple layers of Warm & Natural, and tightly cover it with some high quality muslin I have. I want a large board for ironing, specifically for squaring up blocks and larger pieces when needed.

I work on my dining room table, but I don't like bending over. I guess I need to clean off my cutting table and use it! Doh! :?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast