Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Quan Yin - A show quilt >

Quan Yin - A show quilt

Quan Yin - A show quilt

Old 06-13-2018, 12:05 PM
Power Poster

Default Quan Yin - A show quilt

A discussion over on the Main forum about threads ( Thread and thread weights ) jogged my memory that I had never posted pictures of this quilt. It was made by my good friend Gail to enter into the big shows. Some members here have seen Quan Yin in person.

Quan Yin is the Buddhist goddess of compassion. Gail did the applique then entrusted her to me to quilt her. She made her debut in Houston last year and was at Road to California early this year. She made an appearance at Empire quiltfest and we plan on putting her in another local venue this fall to finish her career. While she did ribbon as best Art Quilt at Empire she did nothing at Road or Houston but it was an honor to just be accepted to these two shows.

I had not posted pictures when I finished her because she had not yet made her show debuts.

The reason the thread topic jogged my memory is the plethora of threads I used on this.

All the ditch work was Filtec Essence invisible monofilament thread. Every appliqued element was ditched and treated with a trapunto treatment.
The quilting in her gowns used Superior Glitter holographic thread and Glide 40 wt
The water pouring from her vase was also Superior Glitter
Metallic thread was used to make the flaming mandala behind her (four different colors were used in the flames). The mandala is all quilting not appliqued. I used both Superior brand and Wonderfil brand. I also used metallic to outline and emphasize elements in the dragon's scales and spines and on her blouse.
The quilting on the goddess face, upper body and hands was Invisifil 100 wt polyester by Wonderfil
All the background quilting (the waves, clouds and swirls in the sky) were done using Filtec Glide in white and Federal blue 40 wt.

Batting is two layers of wool and under all the applique, because I trapuntoed, is a 3rd layer of wool.

Gail used lots of different fabrics, hand dyes, silks (including an embossed silk in her robe), satin, batik and Stonehenge cotton for the background. Once I finished the quilting, Gail further embellished her with Tsukineko inks, tiny little seed pearl beads and crystal beads along with a real jade bead necklace.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]595930[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]595931[/ATTACH]

And here is a closeup of the dragon's claw taken while I was quilting showing the holographic and metallic but pictures really don't show the sparkle you see in real life.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]595932[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails quan-yin-gail-2.jpg   quan-yin-closeup-gail-.jpg   quan-yin-glitter-thread-closeup.jpg  
Old 06-13-2018, 12:11 PM

That is one amazing quilt and quilting. Can't imagine why it did not get a ribbon!!!
Old 06-13-2018, 05:57 PM

You've done an amazing beautiful job of quilting the goddess. She's exquisite.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:22 PM

What an amazing job you have done quilting the goddess. She's exquisite. I love the flames around her.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:32 PM

I am in awe of this beautiful quilt. The detail is just amazing. I could stare at this all day I just love the quilt.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:40 PM

Wow! I'm so inspired by your gorgeous work - the detail! Amazing! And thank you (again) for sharing your thread choices..

Christine
Old 06-13-2018, 07:11 PM

I was one lucky QB member who had the pleasure of seeing this in person at the Road to Calif this year. It is exquisite and so detailed. Extraordinary work by Gail and feline. So glad to see a post of her....

Last edited by Teen; 06-13-2018 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:29 PM

Looks great!
Old 06-13-2018, 11:22 PM

Wow that is simply stunning!
Old 06-13-2018, 11:47 PM

Exquisite! I am sorry you are disappointed with no ribbon