Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilt of Belonging - Blocks from Around the World

http://www.invitationproject.ca/gallery.htm

this is from the wall of belonging in a museum (i forgot which one) in toronto, canada. follow the links to find a gorgeous block representing every place imaginable.

i found this by following a link on a website called 'hanging by a needle and thread'.

Honestly, these looked more like Scout badges than quilt pieces, but it was still fun to see them.

My favorites:
    France - probably my #1 favorite

Italy - it kind of befuddled me to see a Victorian house like several in Philly's historic section depicted as representing Italy. I thought they all lived in villas or Venetian-style places centuries old

Spain

Vietnam

Israel - though it always strikes me oddly to see Israel considered part of Asia. Since I'm of Semitic descent (discounting all those centuries my ancestors spent in Eastern Europe) does that mean I'm Asian? Funny, I don't look Asian.

Ecuador

Metis (Canadian aboriginals) - gotta love a canoe with a violin in it!

South America was my favroite group overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisanne

Israel - though it always strikes me oddly to see Israel considered part of Asia. Since I'm of Semitic descent (discounting all those centuries my ancestors spent in Eastern Europe) does that mean I'm Asian? Funny, I don't look Asian.

i believe that for many centuries, jews were considered to be asians. DO NOT ASK ME WHY. however, i really thought that in this age of ultra-communication (more than we need, sometimes) that belief would have vanished like the dodo. i was as surprised as you to find that my dh was married to an asian. btw, so was he :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the link butterflywing. Was a real treat to see what others have done and the awsome talents out there. And it is said that the art of handwork is dying. I say "pheshaw" to that.