Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
The quilt from hell is done! >

The quilt from hell is done!

The quilt from hell is done!

Old 12-01-2008, 05:35 PM

I'm glad that someone has had some success with fleece quilts. All I know is that I will NEVER again use fleece as the backing. It's a pain the arse and I'll never again subject myself to it.

The only good thing about this quilt is that it's heavy and will keep my sister warm.

BTW beaver, welcome to the board!
Old 12-01-2008, 07:18 PM

LOL SandPat! I will be sure to post the pictures before I get sent to the Cabin down below.

Thanks for the welcome MrsJ! What in the world made you think to use fleece to back a quilt? That has never even crossed my mind to do that. You be sure and let us know what your sister thinks about it too!

I think I'm about to just jumped into my next quilt from hell (unintentionally of course). A friend called me up and asked me to make her 2 baby quilts for her to give as gifts. I've never used the Minkie fabric, but after talking to the lady at the fabric store this evening, I've got a feeling I'm going to wish I had never suggested it. (Oh dear!!) But she also suggested that I put the backing and the batting together, and then assemble 1 row at a time. Lay the 1st row down then when I attach the 2nd row pin it like crazy to the 1st row (right sides together) and sew it to the batting and backing a row at a time, rather than putting together the top in the usual way. (Here I go listening to other people again). In this case I think the flip and sew might work since the fabric tends to walk

Has anyone tried this with the minkie or have any suggestions before I dive into this one (while the Bible quilt lays on the work table beckoning me to do something else wrong to it)?
Old 12-01-2008, 08:12 PM

I used fleece the first time because I thought it would be faster than fooling around with 3 layers, and I was right. No fooling around to get the front and back to match with the batting between them. I just pinned them together (lots of pins like I mentioned before) and whirled away on the machine. If the fleece wound up a little crooked, it didn't make any difference, because it wa a solid color. I just trimmed it when the quilting was finished and bound it. If there's enough fleece left beyond the edge of the top, I use it as the binding, too. I slice off the corners of the fleece and miter the corners on the front. That does take a little work, but fleece is very forgiving. I use a blanket stitch on the front - pointed toward the fleece - to stitch the binding to the top.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:39 PM

My sister wanted something snuggly for her quilt and she wanted fleece as the backing. I hemmed and hawed a bit before I agreed because I thought I might have a problem. Now if anyone wants fleece on the backing again, they're going to have to sweeten the deal for me to actually do it!!! lol
Old 12-01-2008, 10:02 PM

It looks real cozy but I'm worried about her sleeping under it if it's that heavy.

Welcome Shelly, from Washington.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:21 PM

Thanks for the welcome Jan! BTW ya'll, that block under my name is one of the blocks from the BQFH. It's Jacobs Ladder. I took it over to my mom's house this afternoon and spread it out on her king size bed. She helped me figure out what mistake to make next! LOL

More to come soon! I'm planning to hang out a good bit and see what I can learn from you guys! I was up at 1:30 this morning working on the quilt and finishing another tiny project I had started.

Mrs J, I feel the same way about the BQ.
Shelly
Old 12-02-2008, 07:38 PM

I did one for my nephew with his old sport T shirts and with a fleece backing. VERY HEAVY! great and warm for taking to the games. I did a minimum of machine quilting on it on a machine quilting frame. otherwise I don't know how you could handle the weight. going to try to post a pic of it.

Tee shirt quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]7125[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-7125.jpe  
Old 12-02-2008, 07:47 PM

Cute tee shirt quilt! My aunt makes those for the soccer mom's and their kids jersey's when they graduate from high school. I've heard her talk about them, but I've not seen one. My daughter is saving up her Fiddle Contest t-shirts to do this with too. Thanks for posting the pic!
Old 12-02-2008, 08:46 PM

sorry it was such a pain. it is very pretty.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

Great T quilt. I bet it is great for those cool ball games though!