Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
quilt from hell >

quilt from hell

quilt from hell

Old 10-29-2010, 11:21 PM

any one ever made a quilt that seems like it is just here to punish you? i decided to try and salvage what was my first attempt at making a quilt. none of the peices are squared or even the right size. they were meant to be 13" squares and some are 12" and others are 12x13. none of the lines are straight. i did painstakingly applique circles on them in sort of a bullseye pattern. they looked ok at that point until i noticed some were not the right sizes. i had watched a video on quilt as you go squares so i tried that. there was a bit of puckering on the backs of some of them but not too bad. i got mad and hid it in a box. well, today i decided to try and get it together and finish it, because as messed up as it is i probably put a hundred hours into already and i was intending to give it to my grandmother for x-mas. i did my best to make them all square at 12" so i didn't have much space left for seam allowances. so i started putting them all together into rows of 5 and that went well enough. i just finished trying to get the rows of 5 together and messed that up. the fabric i was using has a bit more stretch than i thought and it's giving me a really hard time and just doesn't look right. i don't have it in me to take it all apart and find a different fabric to use.. there are a few spots where it had puckered when i quilted each square that are bare and need me to put an applique or something over it but thankfully these are all on the back so it's not so bad. i accidentally sewed two rows together front/back so it was on the wrong way and of course when i was taking that apart i ripped into the fabric with my stitch ripper. now, at this point i only have one row left to sew on, add the binding and fix the spots that need applique and the little spot i ripped with my stitch ripper. i'm pretty upset that it isn't turning out as nicely as i'd hoped it would and really feel like throwing it out and starting over...... i probably won't though, i guess i should probably just chalk it up to a learning experience and finish the dang thing. i don't know if i should give it to her or not though, maybe with an iou for a better quilt when i have the time? i still have 4 more to do by x-mas...sigh
Anyone else have(or ever had) a quilt like this?

bad quilt! bad!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]113219[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-113214.jpe  
Old 10-29-2010, 11:59 PM

I feel your pain! Mine also had circles on it. I had to cut and re-sew the circles, and nothing lined up. I ended up giving away the quilt so I wouldn't ever have to look at it again!

I think your quilt is lovely, and you'll be glad you've finished it when it's done.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:10 AM
Kas

I think it is going to look great! It will be eclectic. And warm! If you don't tell anybody, they won't know.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:19 AM
Power Poster

Finish it and give it your Grandma! She will love it and appreciate all of your hard work!
Old 10-30-2010, 01:23 AM

I agree, the color are great, your Grandma will love and appreciate all of the time that you put in it. Another idea would be to use the squares in a table runner, cut apart and sewn back together in a wacky quilt, a background for an art quilt many many ideas come to mind. Just keep at it you are on the right track.

And yes I have one quilt from hell hiding in my closet, someday someday just maybe I will re-visit it. lol
Old 10-30-2010, 01:24 AM

I love that quilt! I wish I had the patience to applique all those circles because I really really want a circle quilt of some kind.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:02 AM

I've never had the nerve to try a circle quilt....good for you! Think we've all had a quilt or maybe a couple from hell...but that's what quilting is about.Learning as we go.

How lucky you are,having a Grma to give your quilt to.Us Grmas love everything to do with our Grkids! Anyway, the quilt is good.Get it together,wrap it pretty & know that it's one of a kind, made just for Grma.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:24 AM

My quilt from hell is on the quilt frame right now. I am trying to get through it and get it done and over with.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:25 AM

Looks like an art quilt to me!
Old 10-30-2010, 03:34 AM
Power Poster

you know, when she receives the quilt she is going to LOVE IT! and she will have no idea there are mistakes in it...only you know your boo-boo's the people who receive the quilts tend to believe everything about it you did because that's what you meant to do.
i know your pain...the quilt i made for my mother-in-law was like that...oh even a year later...i hate that quilt i think it should be tossed! nothing went right with it i put so much time and money into it and it was a nightmare, nothing is square, it is horrible..but you know what it's on her bed and she loves it and (to my horror) shows it to people.
and the first one i gave my mom...i hate it when she shows it to anyone, but she loves it, her second one is 150% better than the first and i can look at the two of them and see how far i had come between the two. i think everyone has those nightmare projects...non-quilters have no idea what we go through :thumbup: