Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
A Quilt for Ro's New York Homeless Vet Charity Project >

A Quilt for Ro's New York Homeless Vet Charity Project

A Quilt for Ro's New York Homeless Vet Charity Project

Old 12-04-2015, 08:37 AM

Default A Quilt for Ro's New York Homeless Vet Charity Project

I just finished this one to mail to Ro for her guild's charity project this year. This is my fast and easy "go to" charity quilt pattern. Just uses three, high-contrast fabrics. I found these in my stash and used them as I thought they looked masculine. I am going to try to get one more made in the next few days, then will mail them off to her!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]537003[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails p1120144.jpg  
Old 12-04-2015, 08:56 AM

This is so pretty! I love the colors!
Old 12-04-2015, 08:57 AM

I like that a lot! I'm sure the recipient will feel the love you put into it. Great colors.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

Nicely done Jeanne.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:09 AM

Very pretty and a very pretty thing to use your time for.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:15 AM
Power Poster

Such a worthy cause and you came through with such a nice donation quilt. Great job well done jeanne!
Old 12-04-2015, 09:36 AM

I love it! Can you tell me the name of the pattern or how I can get the instructions?
Old 12-04-2015, 09:43 AM
Power Poster

beautiful work!
Old 12-04-2015, 09:53 AM

Super nice! Love the pattern too and would also like the name of it.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by joanneg View Post
I love it! Can you tell me the name of the pattern or how I can get the instructions?
I don't have a name for this pattern. If anyone does, let me know. It is another one of those that I saw somewhere a long time ago and figured it out. Here is how I make it:

1. I use three fabrics, with high contrast so the pattern will stand out. Cut all fabric into 2 1/2" x WOF strips.
2. Sew one strip of each of the 3 fabrics together on the long sides to make a three-strip unit, WOF long. I always put my darkest fabric in the center, as the center strip forms the square or frame in the middle of the block. Sew all three-strip units the SAME, in the SAME fabric strip order if you want the look in my quilt.
3. Now you need to cut the 3-strip unit into 90-degree triangles. I use a large easy angle ruler, but you can also use the 90-degree line on your cutting mat with a straight ruler, or simply use the corner of a large square ruler. I use the cutting mat line to make my first angle cut, then place the triangle ruler along that cut line, matching the side of the ruler to the first cut, and the very pointed tip of the ruler on the outer edge of the fabric unit. Be careful to put the tip of the triangle ruler on the very edge of the fabric, if you don't then your triangles will have wonky angles. Then just flip the ruler (or move your fabric to the alternate 90-degree line on your mat) so that you use all the fabric cutting triangles out from the entire WOF strip (except the two end pieces). This will create two different triangles, both the same size but one with fabric #1 on the long side and the other with fabric #3 on the long side (fabric #2 is always in the middle). I get 5 triangles per WOF strip.
4. Take one of each triangle color pattern and sew them together on a short side. Do the same with another pair of triangles, then sew those two together in the center seam to make your block. Easy peasy!
5. Each block measures a tad over 12 1/8" inches unfinished finishes at 11 5/8" sewn together. If yours are a little wonky, trim them down to 12" square then they will finish at 11 1/2" square.
6. My quilt is a lap size, has 20 blocks and finished size is about 47" by 60". To make this size quilt, I needed a tad more than 1 yard of each of the three fabrics, not counting binding or backing. I have made it with only one yard of each fabric, but you have to piece fabric end scraps together to get a full 80 triangles to make the 20 blocks.
7. If you want a bigger quilt just make more triangles/blocks.

With simple quilting this one can be done start to finish in a couple of days easy.

Hope that makes sense, if not let me know!