Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Quilt saved from garage sale >

Quilt saved from garage sale

Quilt saved from garage sale

Old 12-10-2012, 09:13 AM

So glad you were able to save this treasure...this was made with love and consider it priceless if someone gave that to me!!!! and to be HAND STITCHED as well!!!! This quilt is beautiful and well loved now!!!!
Old 12-10-2012, 12:00 PM

As a younger quilter, some of the posts in this thread are making me FURIOUS. Why must you blame everything on the "younger generation?" I have news for you, there are people like that of all ages. It isn't right or fair to blame anything like that type of callousness on age.

I never ever gift a quilt without the input of the recipient unless it is a baby quilt. I would also never ever put a quilt into a garage sale. If it wasn't my taste, I would make sure it went to a family member who would use and appreciate it. I'm the first quilter in the family since my great-grandmother, although my grandmothers both sewed other things. The older members of the family assumed that we younger people would never want any of granny's sewing things, including her treadle machine and scrap bag, and got rid of them. Thankfully one of the aunts took her button box, so I have that now as none of her children or grandchildren sew. I went through boxes of my grandmother's things a few winters ago, and was astounded to find several plastic wrapped bundles in a cardboard box in a basement storage closet - unbeknownst to me, my great grandmother's quilts had been sitting in our basement since the 1980's!

Our quilt guild president recently brought a quilt to show us that she found when an elderly neigbor moved to assisted living. This woman's children are old enough to be my parents, and they dumped the quilt into the driveway for someone to take, cedar chest and all.

And yes, I have had some of my quilts not be treasured like they should be - those people don't get them again. My best friend is so upset because the quilt that I made for her sister's baby isn't treasured by the sister, but she knows that the daughter will want her baby quilt. It's in the storage unit where J can't get at it, and she is heartbroken that she can't get to the quilt and save it for Lillie. So I'm making J a quilt of her own, and she is going to get me the info from the storage space. I'm going to see if I can talk to the people when they clean out the space for nonpayment to sell everything, and possibly buy back the quilt. If I can't, i'm hoping it goes to someone who will love and appreciate it.

So please, please please put the blame where it is due on the people that do these things and do not paint my generation and younger as a bunch of inconsiderate people who are not worthy of being gifted quilts or anything nice because we don't know/care enough to take care of them. It simply isn't true.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by mardi View Post
Let's ask each of us what the definition of appreciation is in our own words. We will find I am sure, that there are so many different interpertations. Let's do this just for fun and see what we come up with.
Mardi
Appreciation: Having gratitude for something done or made for you or someone else, to the point that you love and use what I have given you. In terms of a quilt, I will be the happiest quilter in the world if you ask me to make you another quilt because you or your children have worn it out. I made matching quilts for a set of twins my friend had, and she was worried that they are going to wear them out. I told her that is the best reason, and nothing would make me sadder to see them not be used at all because she was afraid they would misuse or be too rough with them. They are on their toddler beds now, get washed at least twice a week, but my current plan is that I will finish their bigger kid quilts before they totally wear them out so they have them when they are older.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:10 PM

Nice save. And before it ended up being lost forever. At least it's new owner will take care of it. Glad you got it. And hand quilted!!!!
Old 12-10-2012, 01:16 PM

God had you at the right place at the right time, I am glad you
rescued your Aunt's quilt, it is beautiful. We have to realize
that some people don't realize what goes into making a quilt;
money, time and lots of love. Sorry your DIL doesn't know
these things. Have a blessed Christmas!!
Old 12-10-2012, 01:57 PM

You were lucky to be there when you were. It is beautiful!
Old 12-10-2012, 02:04 PM

Oh I am so glad you were there!.... and I love it! I imagine it would be hard to that girl anything now, knowing that she must be mighty hard to satisfy. I think it's beautiful.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:49 PM

Maybe sometime in the far distant future one of them will realize their terrible error. I have an old lumpy tied quilt from my grandmother that has been loved in the family for years and had other covers put on and tied. It is a mess but so revered here than no one uses it but me if needed. It is fragle and I will not forgive misuse.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:00 PM

Why is everyone blaming the daughter n law. The quilt was made by the son's family member. He played a part in this too. "Oh no, hon. My great aunt made that, no way we're getting rid of it"

It's a lovely quilt. I'm glad you were able to save it.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:12 PM

DIL just didn't know the value of the love and work put into this quilt. i love how your Aunt boxed the bow ties! This would also be delightful in Christmas fabrics! So glad you were able to save it!