Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Quilt Top - Mr. Personality (and his shy wife) >

Quilt Top - Mr. Personality (and his shy wife)

Quilt Top - Mr. Personality (and his shy wife)

Old 08-10-2011, 12:43 AM

Linda Rotz Miller Quilts and Quilt Tops's Avatar

I love the curved Log Cabin - so many possibilities! On these the large logs finish at one inch and the small ones at half an inch. The design came about when I had made several dark circle blocks and then made, what I planned to be the first of the light circles, and that one just seemed like the life of the party. So, as I was piecing more dark circle blocks, I was thinking of the one guy/block being the center of attention and then I thought of his wife. I have a lot of fun in my sewing room :)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-239429.jpe  
Old 08-10-2011, 12:45 AM
k3n
Power Poster

What a beautiful and original setting - and I love the idea behind it. Off centre LCs are such fun and so versatile. I love the way you can get the illusion of curves with straight lines. Have you used the twisted LCs ever?
Old 08-10-2011, 12:51 AM

Cool.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:52 AM
Power Poster

:-D :-D :-D
Old 08-10-2011, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
What a beautiful and original setting - and I love the idea behind it. Off centre LCs are such fun and so versatile. I love the way you can get the illusion of curves with straight lines. Have you used the twisted LCs ever?
I did one with paper piecing. While I love the result of paper piecing, I really don't enjoy doing it, so I don't do it:) I make the quilt tops because I enjoy the piecing process, so I stick with things that are fun for me to do. Paper piecing sure allows a lot of designs that regular piecing just doesn't though!
Old 08-10-2011, 01:12 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Linda Rotz Miller Quilts and Quilt Tops
I did one with paper piecing. While I love the result of paper piecing, I really don't enjoy doing it, so I don't do it:) I make the quilt tops because I enjoy the piecing process, so I stick with things that are fun for me to do. Paper piecing sure allows a lot of designs that regular piecing just doesn't though!
I quite enjoy PP but in small doses! I flit from one thing to another though I DO finish things occasionally! I just love the effects you can get by combining the off centres with the twisties. Just the off centres are fabbo too though. Do you use EQ?
Old 08-10-2011, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
I quite enjoy PP but in small doses! I flit from one thing to another though I DO finish things occasionally! I just love the effects you can get by combining the off centres with the twisties. Just the off centres are fabbo too though. Do you use EQ?
WOW, just took a look at some of your work....you're in a whole different quilting world than I am! Your designs are really spectacular and so intricate :)

No, I don't use EQ. I had a version years ago, but again, I kind of like either using graph paper or just making blocks and putting them on my "design floor" and seeing what happens with them.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:31 AM
k3n
Power Poster

WOW, just took a look at some of your work....you're in a whole different quilting world than I am! Your designs are really spectacular and so intricate :)

No, I don't use EQ. I had a version years ago, but again, I kind of like either using graph paper or just making blocks and putting them on my "design floor" and seeing what happens with them.
I was thinking the same thing about YOUR work! :shock: :lol:

I use EQ for the Log Cabin type ones, I do use graph paper and just sketch paper a lot too for landscapes, and more organic ones like the mandala I'm working on at the moment. There's just something about working with pencil and paper - it's like a proper book over one of those Kindles, I can't explain it, it's just more real somehow! But EQ has it's place...

BTW I'm something of a feminist and would like to campaign that this quilt have it's name changed to Mrs Personality (and her shy husband) :mrgreen: :lol:
Old 08-10-2011, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by k3n

I was thinking the same thing about YOUR work! :shock: :lol:

I use EQ for the Log Cabin type ones, I do use graph paper and just sketch paper a lot too for landscapes, and more organic ones like the mandala I'm working on at the moment. There's just something about working with pencil and paper - it's like a proper book over one of those Kindles, I can't explain it, it's just more real somehow! But EQ has it's place...

BTW I'm something of a feminist and would like to campaign that this quilt have it's name changed to Mrs Personality (and her shy husband) :mrgreen: :lol:
Thanks for the compliment on my work! There are just so many ways to go in the quilting world that I felt I wanted to decide what things I enjoyed the most and do those. While I have taught, and entered shows and quilted, I really like piecing best, so that's what I do. I also think that I must have the attention span of a gnat, so I like to be finished with a quilt top in three to seven days because the next one is forming in my head and I can't wait to get started!

Sorry, the quilt top has to be with the shy wife, because a shy wife has already said she'll be looking for it when it comes on the website on the first of next month :)
Old 08-10-2011, 02:11 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Thanks for the compliment on my work! There are just so many ways to go in the quilting world that I felt I wanted to decide what things I enjoyed the most and do those. While I have taught, and entered shows and quilted, I really like piecing best, so that's what I do. I also think that I must have the attention span of a gnat, so I like to be finished with a quilt top in three to seven days because the next one is forming in my head and I can't wait to get started!

Sorry, the quilt top has to be with the shy wife, because a shy wife has already said she'll be looking for it when it comes on the website on the first of next month :)
I know what you mean about the attention span - I'm the same and I deal it with by having multiple projects on the go at once. :-D If I'm in the middle of something and get an idea for something else, I HAVE to start it, it's like a bee buzzing in my brain!

And I'll gracefully accept defeat on the name of this one, since it is the wife herself who wants it that way. :mrgreen: :lol: