Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Quilt top - quilting suggestions >

Quilt top - quilting suggestions

Quilt top - quilting suggestions

Old 02-09-2011, 04:44 PM

This is a quilt top that I made last year. I was going to bring it to my LAQ because I didn't want to quilt one this big (the blocks are BIG).

1) I'm not sure I like it. It's not what I had envisioned when I bought the pattern. In fact, I had several other fabrics in it that I culled, added new ones, culled more - etc - until I finally gave up and said "it is what it is".

2) Size is aprox 116 X 102. I think it's already too big to put a border on it, but it almost screams for a border - but I'm not sure I like it enough to go through the trouble/expense of doing it. Thoughts??

3) Not sure how to quilt it. I think it needs soft curves to offset all the blocks. Was at first thinking large meadering in the square block and small meandering in the small rectangle - then the opposite on the adjacent blocks. Now not sure. Same princepal but pebbeling perhaps? What about horizontal lines on blocks that are situated horizontally, vertical lines on the blocks that are situated vertically - with the opposite on the rectangles?

I also made a blunder to someone selling fabric on the list here and want to apologize publicly. I spotted fabric she was selling online and thought it would be a great fabric for backing. Wrote her and asked her if it was still available, and said I needed to measure the quilt top when I got home to make sure she had enough. Well ... when I got home and pulled the quilt top down (had been stored since July) I discovered that I had not only the quilt top but had already bought (and forgot about!) the backing! The backing is that "Stonehenge" fabric in greens and beige/browns with a hint of purple so will probably used as the binding as well. Again ... sorry seller. My apologies for my alzheimers!!

Suggestions welcome and appreciated.
Thanks for looking.

The whole thing - CA King size bed. BIG quilt.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]141044[/ATTACH]

Close up of some of the blocks.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]141045[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-141039.jpe   attachment-141040.jpe  
Old 02-09-2011, 04:50 PM

I like it with out a border..kind of modern. Hope you have a big machine for quilting. The colors are great. :D
Old 02-09-2011, 05:17 PM

Old 02-09-2011, 05:18 PM
Power Poster

oh you would have to remove a whole row of blocks, so no border. not all qlts need them.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:25 PM

I think the small rectangles lend themselves to have a special quilt design, with a meaning, the rest of the quilt should be curved to break up the blocks, how about a all over vine with leaves. I get a very nature feeling with this quilt. Maybe birds or butterflies, hummingbirds in the rectangles.

I would not bind the quilt, but set it off with the purple binding, maybe wider than usual. That should cap it nicely.

It's a beautiful quilt can't wait to see it finished.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:43 PM

I think it is gorgeous! I'll bet you will like it better once you get it quilted with some feathers or something curvy. If you think it needs a border, maybe a scrappy border made from all your leftovers would be pretty? I like a border.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom

it almost screams for a border
i agree, but the only way to do that is to remove one row of blocks all the way around before adding the border. the new border should probably be about 1/2 the width of a block and maybe one of the darker shades to 'contain' the colors.

which leaves these questions: what would the new border be made of? and, what will you do with the unnecessary blocks?
(the old blocks can be pillow cases or shams. or a bedskirt, or a wallhanging or ....)

EDIT: does a ca king quilt get tucked in or hang over?
Old 02-09-2011, 05:57 PM

It might be more appealing to you after it's quilted, when the large uninterrupted areas will really show off any quilting pattern. It has a jazzy, modern look that is not too common. It picks up the design of your carpet, which is neat. There's no room for a border, anyway. I think it would look fine without one, but definitely with a dark binding.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by gal288
I think the small rectangles lend themselves to have a special quilt design, with a meaning, the rest of the quilt should be curved to break up the blocks, how about a all over vine with leaves. I get a very nature feeling with this quilt. Maybe birds or butterflies, hummingbirds in the rectangles.

I would not bind the quilt, but set it off with the purple binding, maybe wider than usual. That should cap it nicely.

It's a beautiful quilt can't wait to see it finished.
Purple binding is my second choice after the "stonehenge" that I'm using on the back - which has all the colors on the front in it. Of course, that will depend on how much I have left to work with.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:10 PM

I wouldn't put any more borders on it, it's perfect.

would you think a leafy fern edge to edge for the quilting.
I would think there are several beautiful leafy patterns that would look great.

This shouldn't be to large for a 12 foot table, just did one today that was 102", also a king size batting will work.
Texture will be with the quilting and the batting. I used a cotton and a wool batting on my bed quilt and love it.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-85776-1.htm

It makes it look so wonderful!
Enjoy the Art!
Sue