Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilters' Caddy using Fons & Porter free pattern

I saw this being made on one of the Fons and Porter tv programs. Downloaded the pattern:
    http://www.fonsandporter.com/content...ters_Caddy.pdf

Making it was a nice break from some of my big WIPs :-)

You start with a 5 quart bucket from Lowes, and some nylon screening (amazingly we had some on hand but I'm sure you can get it at a hardware store).

The instructions are excellent...written in BabyLock terms (names for the feet) but no problem. One helpful hint was to use their J foot (which is the blind hem foot) to topstitch close to the edge of the binding.

Note that I filled the caddy wth a significant part of my thread stash...I use pipecleaners to keep the spools and bobbins together.

Quilters' Caddy
    Name:  Attachment-238086.jpe
Views: 618
Size:  74.3 KB

Very handy

I saw this program....you did a great job

Thanks for this link and pic, it's really cute and very useful. Yours looks great! Also, love the pipe cleaner idea, very organized - may have to 'borrow' this idea. :-)

How fun. It will be so great to use.

Beautiful caddy.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by newestnana
    I saw this being made on one of the Fons and Porter tv programs. Downloaded the pattern:

You start with a 5 quart bucket from Lowes, and some nylon screening (amazingly we had some on hand but I'm sure you can get it at a hardware store).

The instructions are excellent...written in BabyLock terms (names for the feet) but no problem. One helpful hint was to use their J foot (which is the blind hem foot) to topstitch close to the edge of the binding.

Note that I filled the caddy wth a significant part of my thread stash...I use pipecleaners to keep the spools and bobbins together.
    this was posted earlier this week...
    I want to make a few, but was not sure about the screening! DId you use fiberglass or aluminum screening?

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok

this was posted earlier this week...
    I want to make a few, but was not sure about the screening! DId you use fiberglass or aluminum screening?
    Definitely not aluminum screening...perhaps fiberglas but really it felt like nylon. As I said, we had it around the house (probably for repairs, or for when we made screens to cover windows in our boat). In any case, no problems sewing with it.

What if you don't have a serger?? Is there another way to finish it?

There was no serging involved. You basically enclose the edges of the screen (on top) with the binding -- pretty much the usual way except no hand sewing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast