Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Quilts You Don't Love >

Quilts You Don't Love

Quilts You Don't Love

Old 09-11-2014, 08:09 AM

Default Quilts You Don't Love

Javin22 posted a thread to the board http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t253315.html and it made me think about quilts I've made that the vision of what I had in mind, didn't work out. A couple of years ago, I did the Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt "Easy Street." I can't say I hate it, but something about it doesn't work for me. My fabric choices are off and too close to the same tone. I love Most of Bonnies's quilts because I like scrappy, but I don't think I will do another mystery. I need to see a finished quilt to pick fabric. Bonnie gives paint chips as clues to her color choices, but most time her choices are way too bright for me. Here's my I don't love quilt. I would love to see some pictures from my friends on the Quilting Board of your quilts you didn't love when they were finished.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 09-11-2014, 08:16 AM

Helene Knott spoke at our guild meeting this week on this very subject. Her theme was "color theory" and she showed some very interesting examples of taking the same colors and the same block and rearranging them. The results were so interesting. She showed an Amish quilt that had gazillion little squares, all the same pattern, but with different colors. The variance in color value (mostly) made a huge difference in the overall effect of the pattern. We can lay out our colors/swatches and say, "Oh. . I like those together." But then we must decide how to distribute them to get the desired effect.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:20 AM

I love the deep, rich colors of your Easy Street.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:30 AM

I really like your quilt but yes, I have had made quilts that I wasn't real crazy about....seems someone would come along that did like one and then they ended up with it. Thankfully tastes aren't all the same.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:34 AM

I think your quilt is beautiful.
I love the colors.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:38 AM

I think it is a beautiful quilt. Maybe it just isn't the colors you like.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

it's a great quilt... nicely done
Old 09-11-2014, 08:59 AM

I think this is a testament to our personal tastes. Your quilt is not one of your favorites, but I, along with others, really find the colors in your quilt beautiful and satisfying. I am making Bonnie's Celtic Solstice right now and I am not thrilled with my color choices at all. Someone else will think it stunning!

I understand why you wouldn't make another mystery quilt. I always wait to see what they look like before investing the time and fabric into a project, since both of those resources are limited. I also go way too slow to keep up with them!
Old 09-11-2014, 11:51 AM
Power Poster

i like it sometimes we are too critical of our own work!!
Old 09-11-2014, 01:18 PM
Power Poster

I think your quilt is GORGEOUS! You want to see something not to love. A green Trip Around the World that I named "Peace" (made a red one calle "Passion") Did not care for either one when they were done. Actually they never got done. I gave both tops to my sister and she recently donated them to the Salvation Army. I wasted a lot of time and fabric on them.
Attached Thumbnails peace.jpg   passion.jpg