Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Ragged Flannels--a hug-to-go, cont. >

Ragged Flannels--a hug-to-go, cont.

Ragged Flannels--a hug-to-go, cont.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:31 PM

Okay--the first picture is of three raggeds on my clothesline. You see, there was a woman in TN--I knew her only from a Miniature horse forum--a really neat woman. Last June her 17 year old son was killed by a driver on drugs. It was so unbelievably sad, as it is whenever a child dies. A quilt went to my friend, her husband, and their other son for Christmas--just to keep them warm as they experience their first without their beloved son. Sigh... it was wonderful for me to feel like I had done something to help--even from such a distance.

The next picture is of the hardest flannel I've ever made. It was also for a Miniature horse friend--one in Ohio. She and her husband had a series of tough events happen--so I just thought snuggling under a flannel's warmth would help in some way. This quilt is BIG--which was a challenge in itself--on my little machine. But, the other crazy idea I had was to make it "his" on the top and "hers" on the bottom. Not the easiest idea I've had. :shock: Never again--but it was worth it this one time.
There's a picture of each side.

There are more--but these were the gifts. The rest are my kids' quilts, and one a student's mom paid me to make her--but I decided against agreeing to that again. I have so little time to quilt and it feels important to make what I want to make. Selfish--maybe--but I give many away--and I just don't need the money it makes. Teaching is for money--quilting is for me. :-)

More to come...
Attached Thumbnails attachment-51060.jpe   attachment-52874.jpe   attachment-54462.jpe  
Old 11-23-2007, 08:18 PM

They're all gorgeous, (and the thoughts behind them make them even more so), but that Baxter quilt is my FAVORITE! Those gorgeous fall colors, leaves and the green!

Old 11-23-2007, 09:04 PM

I have never wanted to go to New York. Now I do - to meet you!! You are a wonderful quilter AND a wonderful person!! Hugs.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:39 PM
joy

Now those quilts have given me more thoughts.... and I thought I had caught up with everything... oh well !!! Great work !!!
Old 11-24-2007, 01:10 AM

Wow, that hisNhers reversable quilt is fabulicious :P and what a thoughtful way to show people that you care. Nice one :thumbup:
Old 11-24-2007, 05:37 AM

Ok I have been looking at your rag quilts and want to know about the fabric you use and what goes in he center. Edward Hamilton book seller has some rag quilt books that have some great ideas in them. I love your quilts :D
Old 11-24-2007, 06:18 AM

Hi Ruth! I have one ragged flannel book I only use for getting measurements. The patterns are more complicated than my simple stuff. I cut all my flannel up into 7 inch squares, and rectangles so two make one square. I wanted to make a change, but decided against it since I want to be able to use any leftovers for the stash to whip one up in a hurry when needed.

Every piece is flannel--they vary in softness. I get it at all different places--but mostly Joannes--who seems to be getting more and more. :D And there's a fabulous Mennonite shop that has a whole wall of it--even cheaper than Joannes!! I love shopping at the Mennonite shops--there are several around here--I could easily visit 3 in a day. I bought some batiks for under $6 a yard this week!!

The middle is Warm and Natural batting. It's cut smaller--5 and 3/4" and is sandwiched between two flannel squares. The seams are 1/2". I wrote the directions up for how I do it...maybe I should post them on the main page? I'd love to give them to anyone who'd like them, but I want to do it in the right place.

Oh--important step--once all the squares are done--I very carefully lay them out in an organized random design. :wink: It takes awhile for me to be happy with it. Then I take a picture with a digital camera--and print it off. I pick the squares up by rows--labeling each with a pinned on paper. I stack the rows in order--label each row on the picture--hang the picture right next to my sewing machine--and sew the rows together. With the two sided one I sewed the rows together as I went--mind boggling.

The beauty of a ragged flannel is I don't have to pay to have them quilted. :wink:

Oh someone asked about special scissors to rag them--I just use regular scissors-- I used to only be able to rag three rows at a time--but now I can go forever. My thumb must be in great shape. :D
Old 11-24-2007, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

These are all beautiful, the fabrics are wonderful and so are you for taking the time to make and give such heartfelt gifts for so many :D :D :D
Old 11-24-2007, 11:20 AM

Barnbum,
Your quilts are beautiful and I'm sure the people you've given them to really treasure them. On another note, please post some pictures of your horses. I love horses but haven't ridden for years. We live in town now so I would have to board them somewhere else. Having my own horses is something I miss very much. :cry:

Old 11-24-2007, 11:59 AM

Minda--are you sure you want me to get started posting pictures of horses?? I'm not sure you do... there's really no stopping place. :D

How about if you go to my website to snuggle them through the screen?

Go to www.littlechurchminis.com

You're in PA--come on up and hang out in the barn with me!! I cannot live without my horses.

I just came in from getting hay down, tossing more hay to them, getting shavings in stalls, adding hot water to buckets, and working one in a surcingle. Oh what fun! :D

Oh, okay--here's a few to get you started... how do I choose just 3???

Yesterday--napping in the sun. All fillies. Two are 2 years old, one is 7 months. I helped foal them all.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]3055[/ATTACH]

This is my stallion (middle) with my broodmares, almost a year ago. This picture won a spot on a horse calendar for 2008!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]3058[/ATTACH]

Yesterday too--can you see their winter jammies??
[ATTACH=CONFIG]3062[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-3055.jpe   attachment-3058.jpe   attachment-3062.jpe